Author Topic: Nothing fancy, but it's roomy!!  (Read 3529 times)

Offline goodfellow

Nothing fancy, but it's roomy!!
« on: September 17, 2009, 03:28:40 PM »
My small machine shop/garage dedicated to my electronics and machining work. It's separate from the house; because I don't want to carry swarf all over the living areas in the house. I have cheap HF machines, but they do the job. My my main hobby is cars. I can make tools and do many of my basic machining tasks right at home.

That HF 14" vertical bandsaw is setup for metal cutting, but that 4x6 horizontal saw gets used the most.

Small 5" drill press for electronics work and my machining tool chests

Tools and Garages

Nothing fancy, but it's roomy!!
« on: September 17, 2009, 03:28:40 PM »

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
Re: Nothing fancy, but it's roomy!!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 04:13:08 PM »
Nothing wrong with using HF equipment. You should see some of the stuff produced on the gunsmith forums with it.
Tool do job=Good tool

A 'Veteran'is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made
payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and
including his life.'

Offline B

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 04:31:52 PM »
It looks great to me when can I move in ?  ;D

Offline TR

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 10:55:11 PM »
Enviable shop you have there,GF.......  :spincl:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 11:45:50 PM by TRTOOL »

Offline goodfellow

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 11:12:57 PM »
It's a nice shop -- in fact it's the only shop I've ever had that was air conditioned. There's a window unit behind the lathe. In the hot summer I'm in there most of the time.

Fridge, AC, Cigars and Machine Tools -- life is real good sometimes.

Offline mikeyr

• Since I can only have one website, I chose Singer's
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 02:38:36 PM »
Tell me more about that little Mill :)

I have not seen that one at HF and it actually looks like it could do nicely.  I have been thinking about the 3-in-1 tools like you have but a friend said I should go for a used 9x20 quality lathe and a cheap mill separate.  I have never used a mill before but getting handy with a lathe and I have the opportunity to take a class at UCSB "Machinery 101" for free.
I play with old British cars and drive a great Italian car.
http://ayw709.rambour.com/
http://us8155.rambour.com/
http://www.dinospider.com/

Offline goodfellow

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 08:16:38 PM »
Mike, every guy I know that purchased a 9x20 lathe decided within just a few years to trade up, because it was just too small for anything but small hobby work.

The HF 3in1 was my only machine for almost eight years because of space limitations in a small garage. It has performed flawlessly for years - a pain to setup and tear down for sure, but it was big enough to handle all of my automotive related machining needs.

That said, the geared head mill was purchased because I was tired of always tearing down setups while changing from milling to turning -- and vise versa.

If you go with separate machines, look at a 12x36 or 13x40 lathe -- you won't regret it.

The mill is an HF 42827 --

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42827

Nice machine and fairly accurate -- not a Bridgeport, but then again I'm not into heavy duty machining. This thing is a good compromise for my automotive work. 

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 09:28:30 PM »
Nice place GF. I spotted the frig   :chainweird:   :clapbouncie:
America won't survive with open borders.

Offline mikeyr

• Since I can only have one website, I chose Singer's
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 09:44:48 PM »
 Thanks for the info on the 9x20 AND the mill, I had not seen that one at HF.

I was looking at a Smitty 3-in-1 and they are much more expensive then the HF ones with the same basic size/features, I assume a Smitty is just a little bit better quality but don't know and I am positive I would never be able to tell the difference myself since I am not a machinist.

A long time ago I had a Shopsmith wood working machine, did not take me long before I had all the separate tools because of that tear down and set up between operations, I still have it but only use it as a wood lathe now.

I am concerned about the same with a 3-in-1 but as my wife says, I will use the thing a few times a year and its only a hobby so time is not important, I say if I can do more myself I will.  I will look into that mill tonight, HF is open until 8 and it gives me a chance to go get a Pizza  :clapbouncie:
I play with old British cars and drive a great Italian car.
http://ayw709.rambour.com/
http://us8155.rambour.com/
http://www.dinospider.com/

Offline uthscsaedu

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 03:44:53 PM »
Real nice space.  I'm curious why the floors are wood.... is there concrete under there?  Is that common where you live?  Or is it a detached shed that you built?

Also, that miter saw looks like the 12" from HF.  Have you been happy with it?

Offline goodfellow

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 03:56:35 PM »
Real nice space.  I'm curious why the floors are wood.... is there concrete under there?  Is that common where you live?  Or is it a detached shed that you built?

Also, that miter saw looks like the 12" from HF.  Have you been happy with it?

It's a detached 12x16 building. Officially it's not a permanent structure because it's not resting on a permanent foundation. It was the only way I could get a separate shop in my city -- not optimal,  but it works.

The saw is indeed a 12" sliding compound HF model and has worked great for the past 5 years. It's helped finish a basement, build the shed, and is currently setup to cut aluminum -- very good deal for the price I paid. I'm not a wood worker, so I go with HF for most of those tools.

Offline uthscsaedu

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 11:53:24 PM »
ok I see.  So what is underneath providing support?  Like when you drive a car inside?

Offline goodfellow

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 07:54:29 AM »
ok I see.  So what is underneath providing support?  Like when you drive a car inside?

2x12 joists and two layers of 1" OSB subflooring -- I can park my Dodge 4x4 pickup in there without problem