Most Valuable Tool of the Week Contest

• 72 replies

Offline Stuey

• ToolGuyd
Most Valuable Tool of the Week Contest
« on: November 13, 2009, 12:33:37 AM »
Full Contest Details via ToolGuyd

A most valuable tool of the week, or MVT, is any tool that helped you get through the week or even a particularly rough day. Tell us about your MVT or a related experience to be elligible to win a Gearwrench Roto Ratchet set or $20 Amazon.com gift certificate.

Post your entries or links to threads about your entries in this post. Don't forget to check out the contest details and rules via the above link.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:03:28 AM by Stuey »

Offline goodfellow

Re: Most Valuable Tool of the Week Contest
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 11:35:34 AM »
Clearly one of the best tools I've come across is the Wright 3440 3/8" flex-head ratchet. It has a 1/4" drive form factor; which makes it the most useful tool for working in tight spaces with 3/8" drive sockets. For working around obstructions and hidden fasteners (such as under dash work) this ratchet has become a favorite tools.

I recently replaced the timing belt, idler, tensioner, and waterpump on my Isuzu Rodeo. Without this ratchet, the task would have taken much longer due to the limited space in the engine compartment. Standard length 3/8" ratchets would not have worked well in this situation.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 11:41:33 AM by goodfellow »

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 01:11:26 PM »
Here is my nomination - any brand of new generation ratcheting wrench
http://www.toolsandgarages.com/index.php?topic=728.0

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 01:40:49 PM »
I would like to nominate the NitroCat 1375XL MINI 1/2 impact.
http://aircat.com/Nitrocat%20impact.html
its a 1/2" drive anvil in a 3/8" gun
Very light weight and compact, yet boasts plenty of torque (the advertised 700 fl lbs is an incredible exaggeration however)
Its a great gun for guys working in tire shops due to its light weight frame, Its also very quiet.

Offline pfbz

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 01:56:47 PM »
My "MVT" entry is really a combo...

The cornerstone is the Snap-on SGT4 1/4" Socket driver. The Snap-on handle really does provide a better grip and is easier to turn than several other socket drivers I have.  $27

Couple this with the Snap-on T72 1/4 Ratchet (dual-80 fine tooth) that plugs into the female 1/4" socket on the top of the above driver, and you can get the little extra you need to loosen and tighten pretty much any bolt under 14mm (head). This ratchet is a dream to use. I love it so much I have two! $55.

Finally, of course, you need a set of 1/4" sockets. Deep work best.  If you want to splurge for the Snap-On's go for it. Although I have them, at $183 for the metric sockets alone, I find them too expensive to recommend. I've had great luck with the Craftsman sockets.

Craftsman Item #00934564000, 18 piece deep sockets (9 metric, 9 standard), $29, is my recommendation.

The Snap-on driver and ratchet really shine with their quality, grip, durability and usability. The Craftsman sockets work great with them. I use this combo more than anything else in my  fairly large tool collection!

At a bit over $100, assuming nothing is on sale, IMHO,
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 11:43:19 PM by pfbz »

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 03:28:21 PM »
I have that 1/4 driver (SGT4BR) and mine doesn't have the female end in the handle.  Where did you get yours?

Offline pfbz

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 11:52:53 PM »
I have that 1/4 driver (SGT4BR) and mine doesn't have the female end in the handle.  Where did you get yours?

Actually I just looked at my handle. It's a SGT4, not the SGT4BR currently shown on the Snap-on site. I believe the SGT4 is still available through Snap-on, but if not they seem readily available (new) on eBay.

It would be a bummer (and a bit ironic) if Snap-on discontinued a tool I just got done describing as:
Most Valuable Tool!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 11:58:14 PM by pfbz »

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 12:05:37 AM »
Interesting...
I do like the instinct handle, although many guys do not.

Either way, it is useful and worthy of the MVT nomination!

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 01:01:24 AM »
I would like to nominate my 1/4" No brand(Made in Taiwan maybe china, Who knows, it doesn't say)ratchet, that my grandpa gave me.
Currently this week I have used it to-
Pull the steering wheel off my truck to replace a broken blinker switch,
Drop the gas tank and replace the fuel pump/filter on my Friends S-10 blazer,
Put my toolbox together.

Took a few pictures today.

[/img]

That concludes my THE BEST TOOL OF THE WEEK entry.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 12:35:11 AM by Tiretracks »

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 10:17:27 AM »
My "MVT" entry is really a combo...

The cornerstone is the Snap-on SGT4 1/4" Socket driver. The Snap-on handle really does provide a better grip and is easier to turn than several other socket drivers I have.  $27

Couple this with the Snap-on T72 1/4 Ratchet (dual-80 fine tooth) that plugs into the female 1/4" socket on the top of the above driver, and you can get the little extra you need to loosen and tighten pretty much any bolt under 14mm (head). This ratchet is a dream to use. I love it so much I have two! $55.

Finally, of course, you need a set of 1/4" sockets. Deep work best.  If you want to splurge for the Snap-On's go for it. Although I have them, at $183 for the metric sockets alone, I find them too expensive to recommend. I've had great luck with the Craftsman sockets.

Craftsman Item #00934564000, 18 piece deep sockets (9 metric, 9 standard), $29, is my recommendation.

The Snap-on driver and ratchet really shine with their quality, grip, durability and usability. The Craftsman sockets work great with them. I use this combo more than anything else in my  fairly large tool collection!

At a bit over $100, assuming nothing is on sale, IMHO,
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

I find GearWrench sockets to be better and they are about the same price. Just one mans humble opinion.  :salide:
which reminds me I just picked up a gearwrench 80300 1/4"set for $42 on ebay, very good quality and value, the Snappy sockets are better, but not +$400 better
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 10:20:58 AM by gofastman »

Offline wilbilt

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 09:55:37 AM »
One of the most valuable tools I have purchased recently is the S•K 73676 Stubby Ratcheting Screwdriver set.

I don't work on cars for a living anymore. These days, I am usually dealing with rack-mounted network equipment and servers. This means driving lots and lots of screws. This set, with the provided bits and interchangeable shanks has proven to be my go-to tool at work. It is compact and easy to carry around, unlike a cordless drill with charger or a handful of regular screwdrivers. The quality is excellent. I have a Snap-On ratcheting long-shank driver, but usually grab the S•K kit first.

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 12:17:38 PM »
One of the most valuable tools I have purchased recently is the S•K 73676 Stubby Ratcheting Screwdriver set.

I don't work on cars for a living anymore. These days, I am usually dealing with rack-mounted network equipment and servers. This means driving lots and lots of screws. This set, with the provided bits and interchangeable shanks has proven to be my go-to tool at work. It is compact and easy to carry around, unlike a cordless drill with charger or a handful of regular screwdrivers. The quality is excellent. I have a Snap-On ratcheting long-shank driver, but usually grab the S•K kit first.

If I recall correctly, there were some issues with the stubby shank fitting inside the handle.  Did you encounter that problem?

My set had the problem.  It would go inside, but getting it out was a real pain.  I just put mine in a drill and held some sandpaper around the shaft

Offline wilbilt

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 05:53:03 PM »
Mine works fine. The only complaint I would have is getting the nickel-plated bits out of the holder. I have a hard time getting a grip on them, but grabbing them with a piece of paper towel or a shop rag does the trick.

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 06:36:31 PM »
Those nickle plated bits are a pain to get out of any brand. They give me fits all of the time.
Tool do job=Good tool

A 'Veteran'is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made
payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and
including his life.'

Offline Stuey

• ToolGuyd
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 09:13:52 PM »
Uthscsaedu's nomination was selected as this week's featured MVT, and I forgot to mention that Goodfellow took the 1st position last week.

http://toolguyd.com/2009/11/most-valuable-tool-ratcheting-wrenches/

C'mon guys, let's try to increase the pool of MVT nominations!