Author Topic: Fixing the E-Type headlight bucket --  (Read 42 times)

Online goodfellow

Fixing the E-Type headlight bucket --
« on: February 28, 2018, 06:34:22 PM »
I needed to strip these buckets for paint and although the blast cabinet did a good job, it did reveal a rust hole and a previous repair in the one bucket. The hole wasn't fixed properly the last time someone worked on it, and they just filled it in with putty --

To make matters worse they ground the flange too thin and now there's a crack along the length of the rust hole.

Nothing left to do but straighten the flange and weld in a new piece. Only problem is that this is really thin steel -- I'm guessing 22 gauge and welding this stuff isn't really possible with a MIG. TIG welding is the only option.

I cut out the offending section and fitted a new piece of 22 gauge -- this is really fiddly work. The cut was made with a Dremel diamond cut-off wheel.

Then the new piece was fit as close as possible to get some good TIG welds in there without burning through this paper thin material.

I used a 1/16" tungsten at 55 Amps to stitch it in -- It's like doing freaking surgery. I'm not used to TIG welding stuff this small, but it did come out OK.

So, what was supposed to be an hour or two of media blasting work, turned into an entire afternoon of stitch TIG welding a darn "splinter" of steel into that bucket.

Hope the other bucket looks better when I blast it tomorrow.

Onward --

Tools and Garages

Fixing the E-Type headlight bucket --
« on: February 28, 2018, 06:34:22 PM »