AuthorTopic: Valvoline Oil  (Read 178 times)

Offline brockstar

• View Profile
Valvoline Oil
« on: October 21, 2009, 12:24:22 PM »
I was reading the detail of the Valvoline 300k engine warranty and was wondering -

What is your oil of choice for your daily driver?

I prefer regular Valvoline for the Civic.  I used to use Mobil 1 for everything but seemed like overkill for a non-performance daily driver.

Offline goodfellow

• View Profile
Re: Valvoline Oil
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 12:43:38 PM »
New cars get 5W-30 synthetic -- and I have used the Walmart generic brand for quite some time. For automotive fluids and such, you can't beat WallyWorld.

Older cars get Shell 10W-40 that I get by the case from COSTCO

Online rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 01:23:25 PM »
I'm old school Castrol I've used it for years with good results.

Tool do job=Good tool

Psalm 109:8

Offline B

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 04:05:47 PM »
what ever my local guys use I change the oil so often in the truck (3k) that i am not so picky on brand. The reason the guys chang my oil is it is not an easy clean oil chang on my truck no matter what it gets everywhere.

On my Supra and Dart ( in HS) I used Valvoline, Wolf's Head, Red Line, and Royal Purple , obviously RP was not around when i had the dart but it would have been in if they were about

Offline krusty the clown

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 04:59:17 PM »
i use motorcraft 5/20 in the truck. the shovel get valvoline VR1 50 and the bagger gets mobil1 20/50 vtwin.

Offline Papaw

• View Profile
    • Tool Talk
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 08:28:12 PM »
Castrol fan here.
I used to run hotshots and one customer was Valvoline. In the warehouse, Valvoline was being packaged for lots of other brands-probably some had different additive formulas, but they were all the same Valvoline. I got a kick out of Honda owners buying Honda branded motor oil for more money because it said Honda on the can!

I don't care for the reccomendations of 5-30 in the modern cars, but I guess they know what they need. My '98 GMC Sierra and my '78 BMW both get Castrol 20-50 all year long. Never really gets cold enough here to need the 5 wt.
"No tool like an old tool"
Visit  http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php
A forum for Tool Collectors
Brazoria County Forum

Offline Heiny57

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 02:55:42 PM »
Castrol here too. Got that from a gear head guru 40 years ago. Right now I am running 5-30 High Millage in my F150, and I use Fram Tough Guard filters. Can't beat walmart prices. 5 qts $14 bucks.

Buuttt,,,, a freind of mine has 270,000 miles on a 454 Chevy truck running Valvoline.  :tank:

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 04:39:23 PM »
My vehicles are old with high mileage.

In my 1991 toyoyta pickup I use the Walmart Super Tech conventional 20W-50W all year long. This vehicle burns oil and leaks oil. And, it's hot most of the year and what little winters we have are mild...seldom freezes. I also run this same oil in all my landscape equipment, except 2-strokes. Seems to work and it's relatively inexpensive.

My 1988 Isuzu NPR diesal gets Shell Rotela 20W-50W year round.  This vehicle has 130,000 miles on it but does not burn or leak oil. I put the good stuff in it!
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repo my house, I'll still have my tools.

Offline goodfellow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 07:49:08 PM »
+1 lauver -- Wallyworld has some good pricing on oil. Their Super Tech house brand is very well supported by many car guys on other forums. Only thing is, none of them can agree on who the supplier is.

Offline Fins/413

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 05:36:56 PM »
Used to be Quaker State and when GM went to 5W-30 I started using Pennzoil as it was only one I could find at the time. Good old Pa. crude
Eric Corse
Wake Forest, NC
1959 Chrysler New Yorker

Offline Uncle Buck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 10:54:14 AM »
Several brands are what I run depending on pricing, Castrol, Valvoline, Motorcraft, Conoco, Texaco primarily depending on the prices I find when I go to buy.