Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New welder and fundamental mistakes  (Read 158 times)

Offline Rickster

• View Profile
New welder and fundamental mistakes
« on: September 16, 2009, 07:56:46 PM »
I finished welding in the replacement battery tray in the Mustang.  It took a lot of re-work.  As my fist MIG welding project I made a mountain of fundamental mistakes:

- I didn't practice on scrap metal.  Just headed right in trying to dial everything in and weld it together at the same time.

- I had a huge repair panel and only needed about a 1/4 of it for the repair.  Two mistakes here:
  - I cut away the rusted out portion of the panel. But I had difficulty with blowing holes along the edges because the metal was too thin there.  I should have used more of the repair panel and cut back deeper into the stock panel for better metal.
  - In cutting the repair panel I left too much gap in places along the edges.  I should have taken more care to make the edges as close as possible.

Well I got to learn the hard way.  But I've gotten really good at welding and grinding and welding some more and grinding some more.

Re: New welder and fundamental mistakes

Offline pipehack

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 06:45:49 PM »
Just saw this thread... I'm still burning through. I really do no have a pile of scrap to practice on so sometimes I have to use the machines "suggested" settings on the inside of the panel and hope for the best. Usually turns out for the worst.  :no_no:

Offline Fins/413

• The man with the 57 models
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 03:46:09 AM »
I'm in the same boat, any info along these lines will be helpful.
Eric Corse
Wake Forest, NC
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 Ford Econoline