Author Topic: New welder and fundamental mistakes  (Read 1739 times)

Offline Rickster

New welder and fundamental mistakes
« on: September 16, 2009, 09:56:46 PM »
I finished welding in the replacement battery tray in the Mustang.  It took a lot of re-work.  As my fist MIG welding project I made a mountain of fundamental mistakes:

- I didn't practice on scrap metal.  Just headed right in trying to dial everything in and weld it together at the same time.

- I had a huge repair panel and only needed about a 1/4 of it for the repair.  Two mistakes here:
  - I cut away the rusted out portion of the panel. But I had difficulty with blowing holes along the edges because the metal was too thin there.  I should have used more of the repair panel and cut back deeper into the stock panel for better metal.
  - In cutting the repair panel I left too much gap in places along the edges.  I should have taken more care to make the edges as close as possible.

Well I got to learn the hard way.  But I've gotten really good at welding and grinding and welding some more and grinding some more.

Tools and Garages

New welder and fundamental mistakes
« on: September 16, 2009, 09:56:46 PM »

Offline pipehack

Re: New welder and fundamental mistakes
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 08:45:49 PM »
Just saw this thread... I'm still burning through. I really do no have a pile of scrap to practice on so sometimes I have to use the machines "suggested" settings on the inside of the panel and hope for the best. Usually turns out for the worst.  :no_no:

Offline Fins/413

• A Tool whore
  • The man with the 57 models
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 05:46:09 AM »
I'm in the same boat, any info along these lines will be helpful.
Eric Corse
Wake Forest, NC
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 Ford Econoline

Offline 1977Impala

• World Famous
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 10:15:47 PM »
What machines is everyone using? if you are burning through good solid sheetmetal  you need to back down the voltage, if you have a cheaper machine with only a few adjustment settings  your gonna hate life until you get a little better machine. Make sure what you are trying to join is CLEAN metal, You can't weld rust.
"Ten six niner! Ten six niner!, We've got whores in the city, we
need back up now!

Offline 79pacecar

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 12:11:48 PM »
One other thing that helps when welding thin sheet is (if you can get to it) put a piece of copper behind the joint, The steel wont stick to the copper & it will keep you from blowing through

1/4 thick copper is plenty..
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Offline 1977Impala

• World Famous
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 09:45:25 AM »
Yea I took a small lenght of 3/4 copper pipe and smashed on end flat so I could use it to help weld molding and trim holes.
"Ten six niner! Ten six niner!, We've got whores in the city, we
need back up now!