Go Bottom
  • Hello Guest

Author Topic: Special JC Penney "Penncraft" Ratchet  (Read 4103 times)

October 16, 2009, 06:43:06 AM

goodfellow

I've been on travel for a while and I'm suffering from major garage and shop withdrawal. So this place and GH have done wonders for keeping up my spirits with regard to tools and shops. Hotel rooms are a drag at night. I prefer the comfort of my garage in the evenings :clapbouncie:

Here are a few pics that I had on my computer for a while, but forgot about. This is a JC Penney flex-head/angle ratchet that I bought in the mid 1970's. It's not stamped "Penncraft", but was sold under the "Penncraft Best" moniker. The interesting aspect of this wrench is the manufacturer -- it's actually an SK tool. At the time "Penncraft" was not a big draw anymore, and as the company reduced its tool offerings, Penney's simply had their tools stamped with the JC Penney name.

The origin of Penncraft tools is always up for debate because JC Penney didn't sell many tools when they were actively competing against Sears and Wards. All-in-all, the company was in the tool business for only a few decades.

SK still sells this ratchet and it's a good one. I prefer this model for working on suspensions -- that angled grip is absolutely wonderful.

http://www.sktools.com/Default.aspx?fusemode=10&pid=3770

« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 06:48:30 AM by goodfellow »
October 16, 2009, 11:13:35 AM
Reply #1

rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
Those are my favorite SK ratchets of all time. The angle is very nearly perfect.
Tool do job=Good tool

A 'Veteran'is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made
payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and
including his life.'
October 16, 2009, 01:38:27 PM
Reply #2

sk farmer

• Global Moderator
are you going to post this up so i have to see it here too? :angryred: don't you want to trade some chicom garbage for that?
you can put candles on a cowpie, but that won't make it a birthday cake.
October 16, 2009, 02:39:04 PM
Reply #3

goodfellow

Sorry, I promised Rusty I'd post over here as well -- just to get the ball rolling   :lol3:

October 16, 2009, 04:16:55 PM
Reply #4

kimetric

I have a Minimax 3/8 drive ratchet in the same style, and I agree that they are a great shape. It really does surprise just how versatile that bend makes the tool. 
October 28, 2009, 12:29:06 PM
Reply #5

lauver

• Belton, TX
I have always assumed that bent handle flex head ratchets were designed primarily for spark plug applications. Probably because many of the early versions of these ratchets were branded by the spark plug companies.  Leave it to good mechanics to find lots of other applications.
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repo my house, I'll still have my tools.
June 05, 2011, 10:15:14 AM
Reply #6

rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
Ray remember this post? Good thing we did double post it.
Tool do job=Good tool

including his life.'
June 05, 2011, 10:45:51 AM
Reply #7

goodfellow

Yeah, I forgot about that one Rusty --

I have to keep a tight reign on that ratchet these days. One of my garage buddies has taken a liking to it and he uses the heck out of that thing. Not sure I trust him to return it to my toolbox one of these days (he keeps threatening to take it home and throw out all his other ratchets)  :lol3:
June 05, 2011, 01:29:03 PM
Reply #8

Fins/413

• A Tool whore
  • The man with the 57 models
Eric Corse
Wake Forest, NC
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 Ford Econoline
June 05, 2011, 01:38:26 PM
Reply #9

B

I have never used or needed one as such pops never had one breaker bars and slugging wrenches for suspension.   Articulated spark plug sockets is needed , very rarely ever used.
June 05, 2011, 03:12:24 PM
Reply #10

rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
I've foound them useful in awkwad areas to keep from having to remove a lot of accessories to get access to one bolt.
Tool do job=Good tool

including his life.'
June 05, 2011, 03:21:34 PM
Reply #11

Dustin19

I've foound them useful in awkwad areas to keep from having to remove a lot of accessories to get access to one bolt.
brake caliper bolts are a area i found  a bent handle ratchet is good for besides sparkplugs.

July 24, 2014, 04:41:52 AM Top
Layout Options | Color: