Author Topic: desperate help  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Dustin19

desperate help
« on: May 06, 2015, 01:49:54 AM »
does anyone here have the capability to weld a a small cast iron part ?  its the winder from my kenmore sewing machine that my grandfather  bought for grandma in the lates 60's  i really need to fix this i will ship it to anyone willing and pay them.  if someone can ask on the gg for me i would greatly apreciate it.  has alot of sentimental value

Tools and Garages

desperate help
« on: May 06, 2015, 01:49:54 AM »

Offline fflintstone

• Tool slut
  • Former master curmudgeon
Re: desperate help
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 09:59:19 AM »
  I don't yet have a TIG set up but depending on what you have to repair it could be "braised" together with silicon bronze filler rod.

My guess is that it might be easier to have a new part made from scratch. It wont be cheap.

My guess the best option would be to buy another of the same type of machine off ebay and swap parts.

THE KING OF PARSIMONY WHEN BUYING TOOLS

foxtrot union charlie king oscar bravo alpha mike alpha.

World class master Mechanician

Offline goodfellow

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 12:50:13 PM »
Post up a pic to show the structure/design to see if it can be repaired --

Offline Dustin19

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 06:02:03 PM »
ill post pics as soon as my phone gets here my old one broke.  digitizer.    the machine used is about 150.   someone told me jb weld might do it since its  not a high stress part what sucks is it broke right near a hole that a spring and pin rides in so whatever i do has to be precise
a

Offline Dustin19

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 02:27:03 AM »
 well here it is the little slot could be filled it contain a small spring normally but  it just  lift the lever  so when the bobbin is full it pops out but it could manually be lifted  when its full just wouldnt be automatic anymore.. if one of you could fix it   i would pay or offer up a decent trade  i no longer have a welder or torches do to medical bills and being  almost to living on the street so my capabilitys are limited to epoxys,glues, soldering.

Offline goodfellow

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 10:30:39 AM »
That's a very small piece and not a lot of surface area to braze or silver solder. Usually when brazing or silver soldering, the material at the break point needs to be ground back and chamfered to provide a bite for the braze/solder to flow. Given all the other shiny pieces that surround it, I doubt they would survive the heat needed to braze or solder it. This is one time where JB Weld may be your only option

Offline fflintstone

• Tool slut
  • Former master curmudgeon
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 05:07:58 PM »
That's a very small piece and not a lot of surface area to braze or silver solder. Usually when brazing or silver soldering, the material at the break point needs to be ground back and chamfered to provide a bite for the braze/solder to flow. Given all the other shiny pieces that surround it, I doubt they would survive the heat needed to braze or solder it. This is one time where JB Weld may be your only option

I concur. I would look at how it fits into the machine and see if you could build up the area with JB weld for more support.
THE KING OF PARSIMONY WHEN BUYING TOOLS

foxtrot union charlie king oscar bravo alpha mike alpha.

World class master Mechanician

Offline sk farmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 09:42:46 AM »
i have beeen watching this but have nothing more to add.

any chance on finding a scrapped out machine? sewing machine repair places are hard to find but i know of at least one.
you can put candles on a cowpie, but that won't make it a birthday cake.