Author Topic: B wants one  (Read 1415 times)

Offline B

B wants one
« on: October 12, 2009, 11:38:25 PM »
B needs one pops is not the best about putting away dull bits
B when he is working can dull bits quite quickly at work

B tried a friend drill dr fine for on or two bit a day but B has hundreds of bit to do and in carbide and other exotic drill bit mediums.

http://www.darex.com/product.asp?specific=946

B now going to keep in mind and search for used one some day

B knows about free hand sharpening but does not trust his skill level at this finite skill several lessons have not worked to my satisfaction.

B now done whit the Elroy bit   :0002-1239:

Tools and Garages

B wants one
« on: October 12, 2009, 11:38:25 PM »

Offline goodfellow

Re: B wants one
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 10:21:51 AM »
I have an older Drill Dr. model 750 that I received as a Christmas present several years ago. The day after Christmas I went into the shop with a good adult beverage and a cigar and proceeded to sharpen well over 200 old and neglected drill bits. It took close to three hours, but that machine kept up and produced very nice results.

So once you get the intial neglected batch out of the way, then you can keep up easily with the Drill Dr.

The Darex is nice if you have a shop that requires sharpening several hundred a week, but the Drill Dr. is a much better value for the small shop -- I'd give the Drill Dr. machine a chance "-B-"
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 10:23:54 AM by goodfellow »

Offline B

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 11:41:43 AM »
The DD looks limited though in angle of point, back bevel , and split pointing is this true? I have so many different drils and needs that it may just be worth my while to be paitent and wait I just saw an older Darex on PM for 450 that is a pretty good deal ( given that i was flush) there are lost of machine shops around here that go in and out of business. What made me revisit it is i had to do some drilling and had to filter out about dozen drill that were dull. ....... < shakes head at pops>

Offline Uncle Buck

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 11:16:36 AM »
You can split the point, and there are several chices of angle. No it is not a Darex, but for less than $200 and the ability to sharpen up to 3/4" bits, you just cannot beat it for most of what most of us have!