Author Topic: Mounted the welder on the wall --  (Read 838 times)

Offline goodfellow

Mounted the welder on the wall --
« on: April 10, 2014, 04:20:05 PM »
This old Lincoln "Tombstone" has been with me for decades. I've rebuilt and painted it several times over the years, and it still functions like new. That said, I have a good MIG and a very nice Miller AC/DC TIG/Stick machine, so the old AC225-S doesn't get used that much anymore. Most uses are to just stick some large heavy brackets together, or to fix a frame.

The problem is that it's always in the way. So after tripping over it again yesterday, I decided to mount it on the garage entrance wall. I built a heavy shelf and added some wall anchors and used my cherry picker to lift it in place. Problem solved -- It has 30ft leads, so it will go anywhere in the garage, or outside of the garage to do occasional repairs.

Might be worth a shot for some of you guys who are space constrained -- for me, this works!

Tools and Garages

Mounted the welder on the wall --
« on: April 10, 2014, 04:20:05 PM »

Offline fflintstone

• Tool slut
  • Former master curmudgeon
Re: Mounted the welder on the wall --
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 06:01:32 PM »
my tombstone was AC/DC but in the 17 year I owned it I had less than an hour of burn time. I recently sold it for more than I paid for it. that money may go towards a TIG welder..... or another toy...
THE KING OF PARSIMONY WHEN BUYING TOOLS

foxtrot union charlie king oscar bravo alpha mike alpha.

World class master Mechanician

Offline goodfellow

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 06:43:25 PM »
my tombstone was AC/DC but in the 17 year I owned it I had less than an hour of burn time. I recently sold it for more than I paid for it. that money may go towards a TIG welder..... or another toy...

I hear 'ya Bill. I bought this thing in the early 1970's and it welded a lot of frames and suspensions in its day. Back then I though I had it made because I owned an O/A outfit, an arc welder, and a carbon arc torch. I made a few bucks as well by doing some frame and general work for other folks. TIG and MIG at that time were expensive industrial applications, and way out of my budget.

Wow -- how things have changed! It's been with me for so long, and has performed so flawlessly, that I just can't sell it.

Offline fflintstone

• Tool slut
  • Former master curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 11:14:42 AM »

I hear 'ya Bill. I bought this thing in the early 1970's and it welded a lot of frames and suspensions in its day. Back then I though I had it made because I owned an O/A outfit, an arc welder, and a carbon arc torch. I made a few bucks as well by doing some frame and general work for other folks. TIG and MIG at that time were expensive industrial applications, and way out of my budget.

Wow -- how things have changed! It's been with me for so long, and has performed so flawlessly, that I just can't sell it.

The AC tombstones last forever. they almost are not worth selling though, as around here the don't sell for much over $100 (although I have seen people ask $200+ all the time.) it took me forever to sell my AC/DC for $400.

before the guy came to pick it up I ran a few beads with it and by stick #3 I was welding way better than I did the whole time I owned it. the MIG and TIG classes at Lincoln and Jody's video have improved my welding 10 fold.
THE KING OF PARSIMONY WHEN BUYING TOOLS

foxtrot union charlie king oscar bravo alpha mike alpha.

World class master Mechanician