Author Topic: Engine Analyzers for sale at my local university - need some input/info...  (Read 1452 times)

Offline nicksny

Hey guys,

I can an opportunity to buy one or all of these machines from my local college for cheap. Has anyone used any of these machines?

Sun MEA

Sun MGA 1400 4-Gas analyzer

Allen Computer Test Center

Bear Marquette Engine Analyzer System

The Bear unit would look cool in my shop (it's also the smallest, I'm running out of room).

What would these units be worth? They are all in good shape with vinyl covers, keep in a heated warehouse for the last XX years... Didn't test them but they probably work, I could go back and try powering them up.

Also, is anyone interested in them? They said they could crate and ship them anywhere if needed...

-Nick

Tools and Garages

Offline goodfellow

I can't say much for the others, but the Sun MEA is not that popular a machine. The reason is that it was one of the first computer based analyzers and was designed to support 80's and early 90's engine management systems. They were software driven and herein lies the problem. Unless you have ALL the operating system and support system software disks with that machine, it's basically a doorstop. Even if you have all the software that came with it, the machine wasn't supported for a long time by Sun, so you're basically stuck with a machine that only had software support for a little over a decade; the worst decade for cars in my opinion -- 1980's and early 90's.

Offline fflintstone

• Tool slut
  • Former master curmudgeon
FWIW I would only consider the bear for personal use. IMO they are not worth much but there are people who collect them.
you will have much more luck posting this over on garage journal they have over100,000 members where this forum has less than 1000 with only 3 active posters. they have banned more people (me being one of them) than this forum ever had.
THE KING OF PARSIMONY WHEN BUYING TOOLS

foxtrot union charlie king oscar bravo alpha mike alpha.

World class master Mechanician

Offline nicksny

Ahh just got back from camping for the long weekend, great time. Thanks for the replies and info guys. Yeah the Sun MEA is also a beast in size, I wouldn't want to take up that much space. I'm going to probably end up buying the Bear unit. Would that Allen be like the Sun where you'd need the proper software etc?

Nick

Offline goodfellow

Sorry, I don't know anything about the Allen unit.

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
FF number of posters means nothing the 999999 me tooers don't help much.
Tool do job=Good tool

A 'Veteran'is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made
payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and
including his life.'

Offline fflintstone

• Tool slut
  • Former master curmudgeon
FF number of posters means nothing the 999999 me tooers don't help much.

No disrespect rusty, thanks ever so much for the site. And there is a lot to be said for 2 good responses over 50 responses with a 90% BS rate.

My thoughts were if he was looking to help his school unload the machines, he would have no shortage of people over there with more money than brains.
THE KING OF PARSIMONY WHEN BUYING TOOLS

foxtrot union charlie king oscar bravo alpha mike alpha.

World class master Mechanician