Frederick Flintstone’s tool finds, projects, life, universe and everthing

• 457 replies

Offline fflintstone

• Tool slut
  • Former master curmudgeon
So like I said I had just started a thread where I condensed all my shop work, tool finds projects and what not into one thread. This will be my attempt at it here.

:aniusflag:

The house I now live in I built mostly myself. I built it as a weekend getaway/retirement house. I never intended to have children. When I set out a plan for my life in 1997 I planned on being semi-retired by now. Things change and life happens.
I bought my acreage in 1998 this is what was on the property, a basement, barn and small shed.

I started building wall sections in my garage and carted them “up north” on the weekends. One week in the spring of 1999 I put the pieces together.

After 7 brutal dawn till dusk days:

It looked like this now a few years later.

I went gonzo on it for about 3 years, busted my ass, I got burned out and the house has languished since.

I put several unique details in the house to make it my own.

The biggest thing is the border inlays on the wood floors: the multi species first floor and tiny items hidden in flaws in the wood.

Along with the floor I have other small things where I got to express my creativity:

« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 09:02:04 AM by fflintstone »
THE KING OF PARSIMONY WHEN BUYING TOOLS

foxtrot union charlie king oscar bravo alpha mike alpha.

World class master Mechanician

Offline fflintstone

• Tool slut

Today 10JULY13, I did a few things. I got a new sign for my shop entrance.

I used my mobile abrasive cut center. I repurposed a $10 yard sale school media cart. It has plugs and a cord, and I can roll it outside when the weather allows, to keep all the grit out of the shop.

Despite being a decent welder for over 10 years, I took a MIG welding class at Lincoln electric about 2 years ago. I purchased a big MIG welder direct thru them at dealer cost. The welder sat unused until today. I needed to repair a gas pedal on my son’s go-kart and I haven’t MIG welded in two years. I wanted to run a few beads before I started the repair. I got the setting off on the first bead, but this is bead #2. Not perfect but I think pretty dam good for a second bead after two years away from welding.

As paranoid as I am about fire now I can’t believe I actually set something on fire! My welding area is not set up yet but this is inexcusable.

Offline goodfellow

Weld looks good -- and it seems you got some excellent penetration.

Offline fflintstone

• Tool slut
Weld looks good -- and it seems you got some excellent penetration.

it felt good to weld again.

Offline fflintstone

• Tool slut
Flintstones drill presses.
IMO I have one more drill press than I need. I have 3.
I can only get rid of the one I want to use the most.
My first drill press was given to me by my wife.
She bought it for a Christmas present when we were still going out.
It is a WWII vintage Atlas, small only 4 speeds.
I can’t get rid of it, she also paid more than they are going for now (they were harder to find 15 years ago)
so I would hate to lose money.

The next one was my grandfathers, then fathers, now mine.
It will one day be my sons. It is a 50’s vintage craftsman.
I am hoping to adapt my mortising attachment and make it my dedicated mortising machine.

Finally we have the one I bought. A 50-60’s vintage walker turner monster.
It had the one feature I feel is crucial for a drill press, especially now I am handicapped.
It has a geared table.
Only down side is it is currently 3 phase so I need to repower it with a single phase motor.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 09:31:35 PM by fflintstone »

Offline fflintstone

• Tool slut
The mosquitoes have been bad this year. From some of the research this stuff Tempo SC Was highly recommended.
 I have used it and I although I have difficulty spraying it over the large area I need to cover, in two weeks I have seen about an 80% drop in the # of mosquitoes

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/tempo-sc-ultra-p-215.html

I shopped it to death and $40 for 8oz is a lot of money but the link I posted is the absolute lowest I found.
IMO it is well worth the money.

Offline fflintstone

• Tool slut
Flintstones jeep build:
I never really documented the build.
I bought a 1998 TJ wrangler in 2007? I wanted to make it “mine” but didn’t have much fundage. I was crawling out of some debit. I had to do some creative financing to pay for the jeep in the first place. It was a stone stock TJ I really wanted a 6 cyl but in my budget at the time a 6cyl had 130K on them. I found what looked like a clean 4 cyl with AC, cruise, both tops and only 73K on it for the same price.
I went with the 4 banger, and have not regretted the decision.

Here is the stock jeep, black, w/aluminum wheels and good BFG TA radials.

I keep trying to think of something easy paint wise that would make it custom, I can do really good flames but flames don’t really go on a jeep especially a 4 banger. And they are overdone. I thought about painting white checkerboard over the black and have it start to break up around the cowl area and diminish to a few squares in front of the rear tires. I was all set on this and then I had an epiphany. I like camo jeeps but they are so WAY overdone it is a cliché. Then the digital camo hit me. I looked on the web and no one had done it yet. I kicked it into high gear and did all the body mods and then on the paint. It took about 3  months of my spare time and working in my driveway. I found out the jeep had been hit right at the driver’s door Q panel area. It had been poorly repaired and I dug out bondo and did a little bit of metal work and then went with real fiberglass for base filler.
I did a lot of little body mods. I made my own bumpers I made mounts for the stock mirrors on the windshield hinges so I could run without doors. I made “willys style” flat front fenders and rear flairs similar to a M715 front fender. I fabed up rocker guards out of tread plate. The big mod was the hood scoop. I started with the corner of an YJ hood and had a friend help me with some metal forming.
I had to fill in over 3 dozen holes for the stock flairs and relocated other things like the license frame. I put in non LED flush taillights (I hate the look of LED taillights. I like the warm glow of incandescent. I took my time selling everything I took off the jeep and actually made a fair amount of money selling stock parts.
Here are some pics:

Finally the base coat of paint:

More later:::

Offline torqueman2002

• Will work for tools.
Good idea to pull this into one 'thread'. Nice job on the flooring and bicycle theme hardware. (viewed on another site)
Mike
I am Blockhead Man!

I'm not old, I'm vintage. Dirt is old.

Offline fflintstone

• Tool slut
Here are few more of the jeep, adding some of the colors:

Image shack is acting up and I can’t do a mass upload. So this is it for now.

Offline fflintstone

• Tool slut
yesterday was a CL run for a 120CF Argon/Co2 tank for the MIG welder. clean and shiny new full @ 2400 PSI for $130. beats the snot out of $350 from airgas. It was a ways away but combined it with a "city shoping trip so only about $8 worth of fuel extra.

pretty much too dam hot and muggy for me to work outside this week.

Offline fflintstone

• Tool slut
wish me luck. I am leaving work at lunch to take my kid to the 20th anual pioneer power show in west branch. I always come back with some rusty or shiny metal.

Offline fflintstone

• Tool slut
Guess what I spent at the tractor show?

The tractor show was lightly attended and we got rained out but I got a good deal on some stuff.

The guy made me an offer I could not refuse on 3 huge C-clamps (12” forged, 12” industrial iron workers and 10” light duty) I kept adding to the pile with a well loved DB workmate 2 De-sta-co type clamps 2 old school HD tire spoons, 2 8” ridged casters, and finally a brush guard for a CUCV (GMC pickup)

Offline fflintstone

• Tool slut
I did well at the midland antique festival. a guy was  selling odd lot NOS EASCO tools for $1 each. Picked up some spare flex sockets, bought some for my friend. Picked up some other stuff too. Not as good of prices as the tractor show but, felt good to pick stuff up.
Pictures later

Offline fflintstone

• Tool slut
 Today I dug out my cutting/welding table from out behind the back storage building and started prepping it for paint.

Took about an hour and a half of ”2 minutes of wire brushing” then 3-4 minutes of catching my breath.

Then my son wanted to wire brush.

He needs lots of practice with a rattle can.

Now I need to figure out what color to paint it. The grates will be flat black. I have some aluminum paint I was going to use but I am not sure.
I have some Alis Chalmers orange somewhere but I don’t know where.

Offline fflintstone

• Tool slut
no pic's but I put a coat of primer on the weld table today. planning on going with the aluminum paint.
I need to find the hammer paint I picked up on clearance last year.
I wish I could buy Hammerite brand hammer paint locally in quarts.
I think red hammer paint with Lincoln electric stickers would look bad ass....
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 10:26:32 PM by fflintstone »