Author Topic: Fixing a common Plasma Cutter problem --  (Read 1010 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline goodfellow

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2042
  • Reputation: 364
Fixing a common Plasma Cutter problem --
« on: August 06, 2012, 11:27:20 AM »
I have a cheap Chinese Plasma that I bought 11 years ago. I expected it to fail at any time, but is just kept chugging along doing its job. Well today it stopped doing its job and the torch quit lighting. I checked the normal problem areas -- air pressure, clogged head unit and nozzle, but nothing helped. I did notice that the air solenoid still worked and when it actuated the protective rubber cable cover inflated. That should not happen, so I guessed that the air hose inside the cable cover had broken. Time to take this thing apart.





First the cutting torch. These torches are a common design and are found on many other manufacturer's cutters. Three screws hold the thing together



The torch head itself -- very simple design -- only one wire needed to be de-soldered, everything else unplugged.





All the parts easily unscrew or unplug





Once the torch head was freed from the hoses and connections, the red outer sleeve was simply cut lengthwise with sharp scissors, and the inner compressed air hose and electrical wires were exposed, The red outer sleeve will be reused.



As you can see the air hose has cracked and deteriorated after a decade of use.







The compressed air hose was cut loose from its connector



The wires were separated as well







Now for the fix. I took some clear 1/4" plastic tubing and fit it on the OEM barbs.



The electrical connections were plugged back in place and the one wire that was desoldered before was resoldered with some shrink tubing added for protection.



All the wire bundles were stuffed back into the split red cover and electrical tape was used to wrap the cover.



This was an emergency fix for me, but a better approach would be to use a removable zippered TIG welding cable cover instead of the red cover. By using a zippered TIG cover, if there is a problem in the future, the cover can be easily unzipped to expose all the wires and hoses and maintenance will be a breeze.

Everything bundles up and plugged in -- Voila!!! We have ignition -- everything works. Total cost 2 hours of my time and $4.00 in clear 1/4" tubing



Onward -- this cutter works like new again.





Tools and Garages

Fixing a common Plasma Cutter problem --
« on: August 06, 2012, 11:27:20 AM »

Offline rusty

  • Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6860
  • Reputation: 1743
Re: Fixing a common Plasma Cutter problem --
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 01:52:12 PM »
Good job Ray. It's always best to tear down and fix.
Tool do job=Good tool

A 'Veteran'is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made
payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and
including his life.'