Author Topic: Need input on making a bearing race driver, for installing a bearing  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Busted_Knuckles

Ive got to press a Timken 392 (tapered roller bearing and race) onto the 2-7/16" diameter axle shaft that drives one of the wheels on my skid loader.

So basically, I need a 2-1/2"  ID piece of steel tube or pipe about 16" long, to get the bearing seated down at the bottom of the shaft. The shafts OD, is consistent, not tapered, so Ive got about a 12" "push", but there is another 4" of splined shaft at the top end, that the bearing slides right over. (looks similar to a rwd semi float axle shaft with hub flange, except its really short and really big OD, and no taper).

I need to know what wall thickness to buy, welded or DOM ? Im going to put it in a hydraulic press and press the bearing on.

I already tried putting the shaft in my deep freeze for 36hrs and I put a little heat on the bearing, and I only got it about 2" down the shaft, and could not nudge it any farther with a brass punch.

Any input ? About what wall thickness on tube or pipe does it start to collapse ? I also dont know how much pressure I will need to install the bearing, but would guess it to not be to great.

I also have a massive OTC bearing splitter (1130 is the model number), I could put in the press, and push against it, but Im afraid for screwing up the bearing, or screwing up the splitter, for its not bent yet..

Tools and Garages

Offline strik9

Re: Need input on making a bearing race driver, for installing a bearing
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 09:02:11 PM »
We do lots of one off jobs like this one, every one requires a different set up too.   So we don't have a set tool or kit really......   kinda sucks.

Any thick wall steel tube seems to be fine really.   Wash the shaft down with diesel fuel for a little light lube to help the press.  We don't heat or freeze any of them just place and press.   All you have to do is make sure the tube sets square and true on the center part of the bearing and press slowly but surely.
It kind of takes care of itself after that.

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 10:47:59 PM »
As Brian says, we used to just grab whatever was in the scrap pile true the ends and start pressing. ATF is slicker then snot too.
Tool do job=Good tool

A 'Veteran'is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made
payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and
including his life.'

Offline Busted_Knuckles

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 11:08:15 PM »
Thanks for the input guys, I did the scrap pile thing, even shopped 2 neighbors piles. Problem is the larger diameter. I ended up ordering some seamless tube today, that is .200 wall thickness, not sure what I ordered, but the place I got it from, the guy told me he knew exactly what I needed when I told him what I was up to (new steel wholesaler that has been around since the early 1900s).

Ive just got to put a "top" on it, and I should be good to go. The tube I ordered is 2.496 ID, my shaft dia is 2-7/16" (2.4375), and the tube I ordered is just about a 32nd shy of the outer diameter of my race, so it should all go together well. Ive got 3 more axles to do when I finish this one, so I thought I might as well make the "driver" in lieu of rigging it together.

Offline strik9

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 09:11:08 PM »
If you intend to keep the machine a while it is good to have the special tools.   We have a slew of really odd shop made tools ranging from backside of a dog ugly to fine machining and polished.

All seem to have served their purpose more than once over the years.

Offline Busted_Knuckles

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 11:34:32 PM »
Yeah, I plan on keeping it for years to come, I own the factory shop manual, and all the monthly TSB books NH issued from 1994 to date, as well several other NH publications.

Now that I have had a complete spindle assembly apart, Im going to buy all the parts to do 3 more, so when they crap out, I can get it apart and back together in short order.

Offline Busted_Knuckles

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 08:34:32 AM »
I ended up buying 5' of 2.5" diameter, I believe schedule 40 .020 wall pipe (its welded), the price was the same for 1' or 5' length, when you factored in the cut. Now Ive got an extra 4' of pipe for future, who knows what.

Anyhow, I got my bearing pressed on and loader back together, been running it for a few weeks now without incident, so I hope I dont jinx myself with this post.