Author Topic: Sectioning off the shop, need input on dimensions for the bays  (Read 2070 times)

Offline Busted_Knuckles

So after 2 years of working on a "detached house", from the shop, I now get to start on the shop. Yeah, I know I did it backwards, but you didnt see the house, youd understand. Basically I got 8 buildings, with an uninhabitable house. Call it the cost of admission. Everything with 10 acres cost about what the one shop would cost to build today, so it was a smoking deal. In addition to the shop, there are 7 other tin buildings, and a massive beautiful dairy barn, in fantastic condition. Which is now full of critters too (hobby farm).

So Im about to start to section off my shop. Im going to take a 50x100' Morton and frame in 4 bays, with 4 exterior overhead doors. The bays will be roughly 25' wide. What Im trying to decide on, is how long to make the bays, because the balance of the 50' will be 4 sectioned off small shops. So if I make the bays 35 feet, than the balance is 15', making the small shops at the back of the bays 15' x 25'.

So basically Im taking  a rectangle, and Im breaking it into 8 smaller rectangles. Each rectangle will be walled off with ceilings, and each area will have its own heating/cooling. Im doing this, because the shop is too big to be "open" (for heating and cooling) and I also want areas to make a mess, and other areas to stay really clean

My 4 bays will include, #1 a 20' 4 post lift, #2 an asymmetrical 2 post, #3 no lift, just equipment, #4 body/paint.

Bay #3, because of no lift, will have a rim clamp, balancer, brake lathe, R134a Recycler/Recharger, scope, flammables cabinet, basically anything on wheels will get stacked at the end of the bay.

The 4 shops at the back of the bays will include #1 engine/transmission/axle setup work, #2 Steel fabricating/welding/cutting, #3 will be for working on small toys and lawn tractors, zero turn, motorcycles,  basically small enough stuff, that does not need a full size car "bay". #4 will be a hang out area, with TV, Internet, a couple couches, high top table, fridge, and so on.

So what Im trying to figure out, is what you guys think a comfortable amount of room is in feet, in front of and behind a lift.

Also interested in what the ideal garage door width is for a single bay. Im guessing 10', but would not be surprised to hear 12' is better ? Any comments there ? Im putting in 12' tall doors, Ive got a 15' lid in the shop.

I dont have any storage issues, I have 7 other building on the property for storing vehicles, equipment, toys, stuff, whatever. My storage area amounts to almost 3 times the sqft of the shop. The bays will be close to sterile, so little if anything will parked along the walls. Ive also got a 4 car garage for daily drivers, which is also heated and cooled, if I need an "emergency" place to work, in the event I pull apart 4 toys in the big shop.

Tools and Garages

Offline goodfellow

Re: Sectioning off the shop, need input on dimensions for the bays
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 07:48:45 PM »
It's hard to tell what's appropriate because you have to figure in the ancillary shop equipment. I'd get on google sketch-up and try some different configurations. Whatever you come up with, add some extra space because you'll probably add used equipment in short order to make the place functional.

I've never planned very well in this respect. No matter how good the plan, after a year or two my space was always too small and cramped.

Offline Busted_Knuckles

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 09:37:37 PM »
I hear ya on stuff piling up over time, I figure 25' wide bays where obscenely wide, just not sure on the length.

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 09:45:39 PM »
20 by 25 you won't miss it in bay length. The extra five feet is better off used in the shop area.
Tool do job=Good tool

A 'Veteran'is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made
payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and
including his life.'