Author Topic: 1994 Wrangler Transmission rebuild 32RH (904)  (Read 6662 times)

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
Re: 1994 Wrangler Transmission rebuild 32RH (904)
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 03:28:27 PM »
God tell me about it. I remember my first clutch in a 74 CJ5 with a 304. We found it easier to pull the engine and do the work then dropping the tranny.

Of course getting the shift lined up was a total pain.

Tool do job=Good tool

A 'Veteran'is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made
payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and
including his life.'

Tools and Garages

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 03:28:27 PM »

Offline Busted_Knuckles

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 10:59:51 PM »
I did my first clutch when I was 16, I burned up the clutch in my 77 Cj7, from doing burnouts and driving it like and idiot.

So I have this great idea, I will put in a "heavy duty" clutch. So I get a Borg Warner HD for the jeep, get it all back together. Takes me about a week to figure out, it wont disengage, because the spring rate is so tall, the firewall is flexing, instead of the clutch releasing. This would have been in about 1983. So the jeep was not that old, and was not rotted out. I had to pull the new clutch back out, and put in a stock replacement, and it shifted fine.

I did that on the floor of my folks garage. Good Times ! Prior to that, I had the C4 out of 65 mustang several times, I didnt know they made transmission jacks, so I would unbolt the trans and let it drop on me as I unbolted it and I would roll it off onto the floor ! My mom used to get pissed about how oily I would get.

The C4 had a cracked case (when it would warm up, the crack would open and bleed of line pressure internally and I could not figure that out), I had it out and apart probably 5 times before I took it to a "pro" who pointed out what my problem was and why I could not find it. So basically at the age of 16 I was tearing into automatics. I didnt have the $ to pay someone, so it was figure it out, or walk, and I was not walking.

When I was a kid, I had no mechanical "mentors", I got to figure it out for myself. The closest my old man got to working on cars, was telling me to go out and "wash them".

That is probably why Im not shy about still tearing into them today ?

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 07:04:25 AM »
You had a garage!!! Wow we used the gravel driveway. I never owned an automatic until 1997. I always drove standards. When I messed up my shoulder shifting was too painful so I had to buy an auto.

My first clutch jobs were splitting tractors to do them. GranPap had a hired hand for a while that could tear them out in no time. We would come down to visit and spend the weekend fixing equipment.

I had a 66 Mustang 4 speed that I did the drop on chest and scoot out with it still there. thing with every couple of months. I replaced that clutch so much I swear I could have done it in my sleep.
Tool do job=Good tool

A 'Veteran'is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made
payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and
including his life.'

Offline Busted_Knuckles

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 07:51:27 PM »
You had a garage!!! Wow we used the gravel driveway. I never owned an automatic until 1997. I always drove standards. When I messed up my shoulder shifting was too painful so I had to buy an auto.

My first clutch jobs were splitting tractors to do them. GranPap had a hired hand for a while that could tear them out in no time. We would come down to visit and spend the weekend fixing equipment.

I had a 66 Mustang 4 speed that I did the drop on chest and scoot out with it still there. thing with every couple of months. I replaced that clutch so much I swear I could have done it in my sleep.

Yeah, I grew up middle class, we had a concrete garage floor, the garage was even insulated.I was pooping in "tall cotton" !

Funny, that you dropped them on your chest, that is exactly how I did it. Many years later, I wound up with a brand new air over hydraulic trans jack (was even usa made !), but I forget who made it. I sold it, I stopped playing with trans for several years, sold my lift too. Now I have a cornwell, its all hydraulic for a lift. Its slow but it works well, and I bought it used from someone who bought it new, and never used it ( I stole it !)

Offline mostnotably

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 10:40:56 PM »
I just bought a 97 tj with the 32RH 3 speed. Third gear went out on my way home from the purchase. I had planned on putting money into the jeep, but not quite this early. So my question is could I rebuild the transmission without the specialty tools?

Offline Busted_Knuckles

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2012, 07:20:21 PM »
I just bought a 97 tj with the 32RH 3 speed. Third gear went out on my way home from the purchase. I had planned on putting money into the jeep, but not quite this early. So my question is could I rebuild the transmission without the specialty tools?

Yes, pretty much, but you will still need tools like snap ring pliers, possibly a pump puller (if the pump is sticky in the case) or some means to get the pump out, but of all the autos, this is one of the more simple ones to do. Look for a video on Youtube, there might be one that walks your through it.

Uh, bushing drivers, if you have wore out bushings,  every trans has different tools some allot more than others and depending on the damage, kinda dictates how many tools you need, but its do-able.