Author Topic: 1994 Wrangler Transmission rebuild 32RH (904)  (Read 6037 times)

Offline Busted_Knuckles

1994 Wrangler Transmission rebuild 32RH (904)
« on: April 23, 2012, 09:15:42 AM »
32RH, 3spd Automatic, with torque converter clutch, these where used up till the end of the TJ build (2006 ?). Was previously known as a 904. This had a piece of foreign debris stuck in the shuttle valve, keeping it "out" of gear. I found this jeep in someones front yard, during a neighborhood wide garage sale in a near by small town. I didnt move, but runs nice, one owner Jeep

Anyhow, it got both bands, clutches, thrust washers, bushings, seals, sprag and a reman converter.

Its my latest "project" in the shop, Ive been working full time on the house for 2 years now, and I get next to zero time in the shop (unless something flat out stops running), but did get to do one transmission last year for a friend, and this one is ready to go back in. Thought I would share some pics. Ive got more, of it put back together, just need to find my camera !

Tools and Garages

1994 Wrangler Transmission rebuild 32RH (904)
« on: April 23, 2012, 09:15:42 AM »

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
Re: 1994 Wrangler Transmission rebuild 32RH (904)
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 10:35:34 AM »
Very nice pictures. I would really enjoy seeing more.
Tool do job=Good tool

A 'Veteran'is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made
payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and
including his life.'

Offline Busted_Knuckles

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 12:23:22 PM »
As soon as I locate my camera, they are still on the card.. the shop is a bit dis-organized (I think the cameral is out there), I spent most of the weekend putting tools away, I remember seeing a floor in there somewhere once upon a time.

Offline Busted_Knuckles

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 12:47:54 PM »
First pic is the day I pulled it. Ive got a Challenger 4 post, but have not had time to assemble it, so Im working on the floor, which is a trip back in time for me. Its been 25+ years Ive done a trans on the floor.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 07:34:15 PM »
Nice work, I wouldn't even attempt a rebuild.   :gaah:   :beerdude:
America won't survive with open borders.

Offline Busted_Knuckles

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 09:30:38 PM »
Thanks Heiny, that particular trans is on "easy" side of automatics, its what I call a "screw driver, hammer, and pliers" rebuild trans. The special tools list for this one is rather short, mostly bushing removers and installers, its really not that complex.

Other automatics, not so much, you cant bullshit your way through them, allot more is need in the special tools department. This 904 is a derivative of the 727 (smaller version), I think it dates back to 1962-ish ? So its a 50s design, that just never got retired. Its pretty simple.

The proof is in the pudding, and the pudding has not been served up yet, I have to install it and drive it, then I find out !

I cheated on this one, Im a GM Ford trans guy, so I had my Mopar buddy, who has been through allot of these go through it with me.

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 11:46:47 PM »
Notcheating smart. I'm with Heiny I avoid auto trannies like the plague.
Tool do job=Good tool

including his life.'

Offline Fins/413

• A Tool whore
  • The man with the 57 models
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 06:52:46 AM »
Good write up BK
Eric Corse
Wake Forest, NC
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 Ford Econoline

Offline Busted_Knuckles

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 09:13:54 AM »
Thanks Eric, not quite a write up, I just thought the board could use some fresh pics !

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 11:56:55 AM »
That it defiantly can and I thank you. I've been busy and haven't had time for anything. I'll have to try and make time for some wrench posts.
Tool do job=Good tool

including his life.'

Offline goodfellow

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 02:01:59 PM »
Yup, good pics and a good write-up. Well done!! Hope she drives as good as she looks --

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 03:08:07 PM »
What camera are you using BK?
Tool do job=Good tool

including his life.'

Offline Busted_Knuckles

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 05:37:54 PM »
Samsung S85 8.2 MP digital

I bought it used last year on Feebay, for $27, with the original packing, carry case, batteries, Duracell charger, and $5.00 shipping. Its in like new condition. I dropped my other camera last summer in the shop, and it did not survive the fall. I replaced the broken camera withe same exact camera, because I didnt feel like learning another camera.

This camera is ok, Id like one that has a manual control for focus, but they get spendy, so I work with what I have. It takes ok pictures, but it takes forever to auto focus, and it likes "lots" of light.

Offline Busted_Knuckles

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 05:45:07 PM »
Yup, good pics and a good write-up. Well done!! Hope she drives as good as she looks --

Not sure how it drives, for I have yet to drive it. I did get it to move around on its own power, but wont stay in gear long enough to "drive". She's a little rusty, being that its a one owner from the area. It could use fenders and quarters, but I will be flipping it just as soon as I get the "bugs" worked out of it.

The woman I bought it from, came around about a year after I sold it, wanting to buy it back !, I declined. She bought another jeep that turned out to be a turd, and in hind sight, wished she had the trans rebuilt and kept it, so Im guessing it drive good. It does have just under 200k on the odometer.

Offline Busted_Knuckles

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 12:16:56 PM »
Well, after several other projects, like painting the house, fixing fences, helping the neighbor and the like, I took the wrangler for a drive yesterday, it shifts early, otherwise, mission accomplished. Its always nice (especially with a 4x4) when they go in and everything works !

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 03:28:27 PM »
God tell me about it. I remember my first clutch in a 74 CJ5 with a 304. We found it easier to pull the engine and do the work then dropping the tranny.

Of course getting the shift lined up was a total pain.

Tool do job=Good tool

including his life.'

Offline Busted_Knuckles

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 10:59:51 PM »
I did my first clutch when I was 16, I burned up the clutch in my 77 Cj7, from doing burnouts and driving it like and idiot.

So I have this great idea, I will put in a "heavy duty" clutch. So I get a Borg Warner HD for the jeep, get it all back together. Takes me about a week to figure out, it wont disengage, because the spring rate is so tall, the firewall is flexing, instead of the clutch releasing. This would have been in about 1983. So the jeep was not that old, and was not rotted out. I had to pull the new clutch back out, and put in a stock replacement, and it shifted fine.

I did that on the floor of my folks garage. Good Times ! Prior to that, I had the C4 out of 65 mustang several times, I didnt know they made transmission jacks, so I would unbolt the trans and let it drop on me as I unbolted it and I would roll it off onto the floor ! My mom used to get pissed about how oily I would get.

The C4 had a cracked case (when it would warm up, the crack would open and bleed of line pressure internally and I could not figure that out), I had it out and apart probably 5 times before I took it to a "pro" who pointed out what my problem was and why I could not find it. So basically at the age of 16 I was tearing into automatics. I didnt have the $ to pay someone, so it was figure it out, or walk, and I was not walking.

When I was a kid, I had no mechanical "mentors", I got to figure it out for myself. The closest my old man got to working on cars, was telling me to go out and "wash them".

That is probably why Im not shy about still tearing into them today ?

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 07:04:25 AM »
You had a garage!!! Wow we used the gravel driveway. I never owned an automatic until 1997. I always drove standards. When I messed up my shoulder shifting was too painful so I had to buy an auto.

My first clutch jobs were splitting tractors to do them. GranPap had a hired hand for a while that could tear them out in no time. We would come down to visit and spend the weekend fixing equipment.

I had a 66 Mustang 4 speed that I did the drop on chest and scoot out with it still there. thing with every couple of months. I replaced that clutch so much I swear I could have done it in my sleep.
Tool do job=Good tool

including his life.'

Offline Busted_Knuckles

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 07:51:27 PM »
You had a garage!!! Wow we used the gravel driveway. I never owned an automatic until 1997. I always drove standards. When I messed up my shoulder shifting was too painful so I had to buy an auto.

My first clutch jobs were splitting tractors to do them. GranPap had a hired hand for a while that could tear them out in no time. We would come down to visit and spend the weekend fixing equipment.

I had a 66 Mustang 4 speed that I did the drop on chest and scoot out with it still there. thing with every couple of months. I replaced that clutch so much I swear I could have done it in my sleep.

Yeah, I grew up middle class, we had a concrete garage floor, the garage was even insulated.I was pooping in "tall cotton" !

Funny, that you dropped them on your chest, that is exactly how I did it. Many years later, I wound up with a brand new air over hydraulic trans jack (was even usa made !), but I forget who made it. I sold it, I stopped playing with trans for several years, sold my lift too. Now I have a cornwell, its all hydraulic for a lift. Its slow but it works well, and I bought it used from someone who bought it new, and never used it ( I stole it !)

Offline mostnotably

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 10:40:56 PM »
I just bought a 97 tj with the 32RH 3 speed. Third gear went out on my way home from the purchase. I had planned on putting money into the jeep, but not quite this early. So my question is could I rebuild the transmission without the specialty tools?

Offline Busted_Knuckles

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2012, 07:20:21 PM »
I just bought a 97 tj with the 32RH 3 speed. Third gear went out on my way home from the purchase. I had planned on putting money into the jeep, but not quite this early. So my question is could I rebuild the transmission without the specialty tools?

Yes, pretty much, but you will still need tools like snap ring pliers, possibly a pump puller (if the pump is sticky in the case) or some means to get the pump out, but of all the autos, this is one of the more simple ones to do. Look for a video on Youtube, there might be one that walks your through it.

Uh, bushing drivers, if you have wore out bushings,  every trans has different tools some allot more than others and depending on the damage, kinda dictates how many tools you need, but its do-able.