Author Topic: A Chinese Craftsman vise I don't mind owning --  (Read 1408 times)

Online goodfellow

A Chinese Craftsman vise I don't mind owning --
« on: February 10, 2012, 01:49:43 PM »
I needed a new vise in my machine shop. The old $30 import that had been used for 10 years finally broke down and I just junked it. I looked quite a while on ebay for a nice USA made Craftsman or other brand, but it just wasn't happening. Everytime a good deal came up for a final bid, the shipping charges killed the deal. So I started searching locally on CL and found many good US made models selling for way over $100.

I visited Sears and looked at all the regular "Craftsman" vises and was pretty much convinced that HF and Sears buy from the same Chinese companies now. That is until I saw this Craftsman Professional 4-1/2" vise. What a difference from the regular line -- it has great castings, a flawless finish, and the lead screw has absolutely no slop. I was suitably impressed with the vise, but the price was a bit much; so I put the idea on hold for a few weeks.

Last night I received a "Midnight Madness" e-mail from Sears and that knocked 20% off the original sales price. The discount, along with a Sears gift card I got for Christmas put the price below $100, and made the vise basically "free" to me. I picked it up at the store this morning --

Whoever the Chinese manufacturer of this product is, I complement them on their work. It is truly a "Professional" piece. Rarely do you see a 60,000 psi rated casting on a bench vise these days; unless it sells for several hundred dollars.

Heavy duty hardware and a serrated bottom plate to positively lock the vise in position -- a feature usually found on much more expensive units

The jaws are flawless --

Tools and Garages

A Chinese Craftsman vise I don't mind owning --
« on: February 10, 2012, 01:49:43 PM »

Offline Heiny57

Re: A Chinese Craftsman vise I don't mind owning --
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 08:38:37 PM »
Look's like a heavy duty vice too me, Maybe our country will figure it out some time.  :ohwell:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 08:47:16 PM by Heiny57 »
America won't survive with open borders.

Offline miguel329

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 02:15:28 AM »
Looks good

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Offline american lockpicker

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 02:56:44 PM »
I seem to remember that vice being well regarded on the other forums. I'm holding out for an old Record tho.
Only quads can stop AL.