Poll

What is it that makes you buy a tool most?

need
4 (26.7%)
want
3 (20%)
country of origin
1 (6.7%)
quality
5 (33.3%)
brand
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: December 15, 2011, 03:00:41 PM

Author Topic: What is it that makes you buy a tool most?  (Read 3843 times)

Offline B

« on: December 05, 2011, 03:00:41 PM »
Ok here go I always see a lot of brand sheeping and COO snobs so vote ......it may cause you to think next on the next purchase

Tools and Garages

« on: December 05, 2011, 03:00:41 PM »

Offline goodfellow

Re: What is it that makes you buy a tool most?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 03:27:40 PM »
I put my tools in categories. If they are used quite often, then I buy the best (usually US made). If they are used "once in a Blue Moon" then I buy the best tool for the money -- in many cases that turns out to be an American brand that is now manufactured in Taiwan (i.e., KD, Allen, etc.). I tend to stay away from Chinese hand tools because they have been pretty poor.

That said, I will buy Chinese/Taiwanese shop equipment -- with Taiwanese being preferred. Many years ago Harbor Freight used to sell mostly Taiwanese shop equipment that was based on proven venerable American designs. I bought quite a few big shop tools during that time (such as bandsaws, lathes, hydraulic power equipment, etc.).

Never regretted the purchases because much of the shop equipment has served me well for almost three decades.

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 07:20:47 PM »
Eh hard question. Usually it's need followed by quality.  When I need it I'll buy the best quality tool for the job. Since I mainly tinker any more I'll often look for one of the old American brands.

If it's a rush. Then what ever I can find that I think will do the job.
Tool do job=Good tool

A 'Veteran'is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made
payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and
including his life.'

Offline Dustin19

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 07:44:31 PM »
im a brand and coo snob and proud of it  i always buy usa when i can afford it even if it means spending a chunk of cash... only items i currently have  that arent german or amerian are  my pipe plug sockets and impact sockets which i hardly ever use

Offline Thefalconman

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 01:17:28 AM »
For tools I used often I always went with snap-on,mac.sk waye, craftsman etc, But now if I need a tool its only because something is broken and I dont have the tool so then I go cheap as long as its good enough to make the repair before it breaks.

Offline fflintstone

• Tool slut
  • Former master curmudgeon
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 10:41:41 AM »
I put my tools in categories. If they are used quite often, then I buy the best (usually US made). If they are used "once in a Blue Moon" then I buy the best tool for the money -- in many cases that turns out to be an American brand that is now manufactured in Taiwan (i.e., KD, Allen, etc.). I tend to stay away from Chinese hand tools because they have been pretty poor.

That said, I will buy Chinese/Taiwanese shop equipment -- with Taiwanese being preferred. Many years ago Harbor Freight used to sell mostly Taiwanese shop equipment that was based on proven venerable American designs. I bought quite a few big shop tools during that time (such as bandsaws, lathes, hydraulic power equipment, etc.).

Never regretted the purchases because much of the shop equipment has served me well for almost three decades.

Sums it up pretty well. Although I lean a bit harder on the used American for shop tools if possible.
That being said after replacing EVERYTHING in the last 6 months, I have almost no china content in my box (less than 0.1 percent). I have a few Taiwan tools, primarily air tools and more German tools than before.
THE KING OF PARSIMONY WHEN BUYING TOOLS

foxtrot union charlie king oscar bravo alpha mike alpha.

World class master Mechanician

Offline straight8

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 08:18:35 PM »
Normally I will buy a tool when I need it.  When I need something I always try to buy U.S.A. made  tools  In addition If I were to purchase, say a wrench it would be Snap-On or MAC, mainly because that's what I have the most of.  When I'm gone I figure my wife will be better off selling quality tools in sets.  Every tool is an investment.

Offline sk farmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 09:01:30 PM »
i started with want and quality first. of course i take all of those things and more into consideration.

if i want something, think i will need it and it is of good quality i may be likely to get it. if it is us made and starts meeting all of the criteria like being a brand i like it becomes a no brainer.

oddly, i stay away from truck brands unless they are dirt cheap. many of thier tools don't appeal to me as much as the older vintage brands.
you can put candles on a cowpie, but that won't make it a birthday cake.

Offline B

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 08:57:21 PM »
I buy strictly on quality if it is not top notch I will not buy period I depend om my tools to do the job , I will never ever buy a tool in anticipation of replacing it for better quality down the road. I am more and more souring European tools then ever since they have in some cases far superior tools and pricing with no ego' attached just a tool that works. I could care less about a warranty if that is a selling point than that means there is something wrong, warranty is the last thing you need in a tool. I admittedly do look at where tools are made for certain types of tools now screwdrivers and hex wrenches/bit have to come from Germany or Switzerland  only tools that come close are NOS Allen brand those hexs have lasted decades of daily use.

Offline Dustin19

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 01:51:16 AM »
well  i might be a bit more opened mined i bought a sharksaw ceneral carpentry saw for 6bucks today made in japan its a pull saw and a final cut double blade saw made by sharksaw for 15 also made in japan if these  work ill likelly  buy  a  couple more japanese items they were both  on clearence at sears also got a few other items  im gonna make a thread for

Offline Merkava_4

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 10:17:53 PM »
1. Ergonomics
2. Quality
3. Country Of Origin

In that order.

Offline Rickster

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 11:40:29 AM »
Decision to buy:  combination of need and want.

Is safety a major factor?  I''m not buying HF jack stands, jack, breaker bar or welding helmet.

Non safety issue high use tools get more money spent on them.

Occasional use tools can go cheap.

Offline atlinwi202

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 02:45:08 PM »
Not much of a tool snob here. Mine just need to be matching snap on date codes with mo scratches or owners marks, must be original prototype versions with approved documentation and cyan handles to accent my outfit. Replaced each year as they do go out of style.

Jk, i buy the best i cam afford. USA first and mexico or european next. Taiwan over china and i do like the cool factor.

Offline tbzbbt

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 03:30:34 PM »
Starting from scratch and living in Germany for he next few months. I just got a selection of Knipex pliers including some precision pliers for electronic work. Very tight very sticky and tiny sharp cutters in both diagonal and oblique.

In addition I got a mini Knipex cobra set which includes a pivoted gripping plier in a belt pouch. It opens and grips in parallel to about 25mm. Far better than a mini adjustable.

So in answer to the question: expected use (or imagined!), followed by quality. As Its been a long time I have been researching brands. I'm buying German because of the high engineering reputation, and the fact I live there. I would not buy anything for reasons of patriotism or politics, unless the quality is there.

Tbzbbt

Offline Dustin19

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 05:14:55 AM »
depends on what my needs are... usually its quality and brand..