Author Topic: Spot weld cutting made easy --  (Read 2635 times)

Offline goodfellow

Spot weld cutting made easy --
« on: October 09, 2011, 09:42:51 PM »
Don't know if this is of interest, but I thought I'd post a quick and efficient method of cutting spot welds with out having to resort to those expensive mini-holesaw based cutters that seem to get dull very quickly, and are hard to maneuver in tight spaces.

I start with a standard 5/16" drill bit and then grind it to a 138º angle. My vintage Drill Doctor grinder only grinds 118º and 138º profiles, but more modern grinders are capable of more shallow angles up to 145º. The shallower the better, because the drill will cut a wider swath with less penetration than a narrowly ground standard bit.

setting the bit in the Drill Doctor grinder --

The finished bit!! The Drill Doctor will resharpen this bit in a few seconds. I usually get about 40 or so good cuts  from one freshly sharpened bit.

The shallow angle allows me to cut through a spot weld almost entirely and only leave a small dimple in the underlying metal panel.

To start the drill I use a heavy duty ACME automatic center punch. This works well and is extremely fast.

Next I load a spotweld cutter air chisel in my air hammer and seperate the cut spotwelds with just a little bit of persuasion. The cutter in the pic is a Snap-On version, but I've also had great results with Ajax cutters from Harry Epstein.

With just a little practice and this method will leave little trace of any spotwelds on the underlying panels

Tools and Garages

Spot weld cutting made easy --
« on: October 09, 2011, 09:42:51 PM »

Offline Fins/413

• A Tool whore
  • The man with the 57 models
Re: Spot weld cutting made easy --
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 05:51:34 AM »
Ray what kind of tool holder is that on your Rodac, It looks nicer than those dang springs.
Eric Corse
Wake Forest, NC
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 Ford Econoline

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 09:21:27 AM »
Nice idea there Ray. I had never thought of doing it that way.
Tool do job=Good tool

A 'Veteran'is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made
payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and
including his life.'

Offline goodfellow

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 10:06:03 AM »
Ray what kind of tool holder is that on your Rodac, It looks nicer than those dang springs.

That's a quick change holder Fins. They hold the chisel pretty securely for doing intricate work.

They are available everywhere -- but I bought this one on ebay . Just type in "quick change chisel retainer" on ebay and you'll find dozens.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 03:29:36 PM by goodfellow »

Offline Fins/413

• A Tool whore
  • The man with the 57 models
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 01:56:08 PM »
Thanks GF looks like it would help a lot with an air chisel.
Eric Corse
Wake Forest, NC
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 Ford Econoline