Author Topic: An exercise in cheapness, a tray for my little handbox.  (Read 1128 times)

Offline strik9

An exercise in cheapness, a tray for my little handbox.
« on: July 21, 2011, 11:21:39 PM »
I found an odd shaped sheet of 1/8" aluminium in the trash a few weeks back.  I wanted to see if I could work with it to practice for a more ambitious project later.  I decided to make a tray for my half finished wood handbox. 

There are a few rough spots in it and I tried to use different methods in different parts to see which holds best over time.   It is a prototype for a bigger 4 drawer box I want to make.

I now know how to fold the metal with only basic tools and get it smooth enough.  I just have to know if pop rivets are going to hold over the long haul.

Tools and Garages

An exercise in cheapness, a tray for my little handbox.
« on: July 21, 2011, 11:21:39 PM »

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
Re: An exercise in cheapness, a tray for my little handbox.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 12:02:44 AM »
You know that could be the start of a side business. Have them acquire the materials and you assemble.
Tool do job=Good tool

A 'Veteran'is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made
payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and
including his life.'

Offline strik9

Re: An exercise in cheapness, a tray for my little handbox.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 03:21:59 PM »
OK, I checked into the local market.  That is as far as I might intend to sell so it is a start point.

A  basic tin or plastic box in the range of a 6" X 12" footprint would cost 250 to 400 pesos.  I would have to get in the market at under 300 pesos to have any buyers at all.  Depending on the cost of the sheets of metal profits could be quite thin.  Or quite handsome if I can find sheet alu cheap.
Wood boxes are sort of doomed in the market here as nobody wants one.  They apparantly don't hold up well to use Mexican style.

I would make them so there would be no 2nd sold to the same guy, the first will last his lifetime if not used as a wheelchock.   I would have to try to sell them to all of his friends to have more sales.

This is going to take some business acumen, which I lack.  I am more the incurable copier and sometimes inventor who would need a salesperson and a lawyer to not lose my shirt in a business deal.  Then I'd be giving all the profits to those two parasites leaving me where I started, broke and busy.   :gaah: