Author Topic: FINALLY!!! I put AC in the garage -- UPDATED!!  (Read 2317 times)

Offline goodfellow

FINALLY!!! I put AC in the garage -- UPDATED!!
« on: June 11, 2011, 04:15:25 PM »
I'm getting way too old to sweat in the garage. I swore I was going to tackle this problem last year, but somehow it never materialized. So when the "heatwave" hit a week ago, I was determined to get AC in that garage. I did a lot of searching and found a nice 8000 BTU window unit at Sears for about $165 and started to do the install yesterday. Unfortunately I don't have pics of the install because the wife borrowed my camera this past week.

The only big problem with this install is trimming the plastic siding and fitting new "J" channels for the siding to slide into. I cut a hole in the garage wall and trimmed it out with 2x4's. Once the unit was in place I realized that the water outlet was positioned too far back and would have allowed water into the wall. I closed off the old water outlet with a plug and drilled a new 1/2" outlet further back to allow proper water drainage.

It took about a day to do this install. I still need go to Home Depot to get some nice new trim for the interior surround. As you can see, right now all I have is "bits and pieces" of old trim in place just to clean it up a bit and to hold the side insulation in place.

The nice thing about this unit is that it comes with a "remote control" - no climbing involved to adjust the unit -- THAT is a big plus for this little AC unit.

The garage was a searing 94 degrees yesterday afternoon because the door was open all day. Once I closed the door, within 30 minutes the temperature dropped down to a nice comfortable 80 degrees. It's been a nice 75 degree all day in there.

I should have done this long ago!!!!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 03:16:22 PM by goodfellow »

Tools and Garages

FINALLY!!! I put AC in the garage -- UPDATED!!
« on: June 11, 2011, 04:15:25 PM »

Offline 1977Impala

• World Famous
Re: FINALLY!!! I put AC in the garage --
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 10:22:34 AM »
Better put a leash on that remote..lol They do wander off.
"Ten six niner! Ten six niner!, We've got whores in the city, we
need back up now!

Offline Fins/413

• A Tool whore
  • The man with the 57 models
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 11:03:39 AM »
+1 on the remote I think they have legs. :lol2:
Eric Corse
Wake Forest, NC
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 Ford Econoline

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 12:16:38 PM »
Ms. GF agreed to it so he wouldn't be able to watch the wildlife walking down the sidewalks.
Tool do job=Good tool

A 'Veteran'is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made
payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and
including his life.'

Offline goodfellow

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 03:15:31 PM »
After 10 weeks of very hot sticky weather that averaged in the high 90's, I just wanted to report how this little 8500BTU unit has performed.

My garage is rather small compared to those of most members on this board (680 sq.ft), so my review will be biased toward smaller single or double car garages.

For the past few weeks I have worked in this garage performing maintenace on the family fleet and working on my Jaguar project. Many of those days were close to 100 degrees with very high humidity. The unit has run for up to 10 hours on end without the slightest sign of quitting. I have preset the automatic thermostat to 75 degrees and at that setting the AC runs pretty much continuously while keeping the garage at a nice 78-80 degrees during the hottest hours of the day. If I set the unit at 80 degrees on "energy saver mode" and a medium fan speed, it cycles several times per hour and still provides a very comfortable working environment between 78 and 84 degrees while saving energy. That said, since we don't actually keep detailed tabs on the energy usage, my wife estimates that since I started using this AC unit in the garage, our energy bill has increased between $10-$15 per month -- that is her estimate using last year's bills as the baseline.

My garage is slightly insulated and is in direct sunlight thoughout the entire day, so there is no break in the sun exposure to the sun. In addition, the asphalt paving in front of the garage radiates a very high amount of heat against the garage door. The garage door is not insulated, and thus a large amount of heat is transferred into the work area through that door.

Overall, this Kenmore 8500BTU unit has completely paid for itself many times over, in that my productivity has increased to a very high level. Last year my garage time was severely curtailed due to excessive heat, but this year many more projects have been completed in this small garage.

For anyone contemplating an inexpensive AC solution for their small workshop or garage -- possibly up to 800 sq.ft, a 8k or 8.5k BTU AC unit will provide a VERY efficient solution.

Offline torqueman2002

• Will work for tools.
Re: FINALLY!!! I put AC in the garage -- UPDATED!!
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 07:32:04 PM »
 :spincl: - literally!

I 2nd that.

I was given a small window A/C unit when my friend/neighbor moved. I use to be able to endure the summer temps, not that much now I'm in my early 60's.

It is running now, to encourage me to continue refinishing a 50 year old coffee table for my 22-year old's town house. I wouldn't be able to bear it with out the A/C.

I don't keep records either, but I like your wife's estimates. Your set up sounds like my 2-car attached garage, no insulation in exterior walls or over the garage ceiling. Garage faces south, with a black top drive radiating towards the insulated door.
I am Blockhead Man!

I'm not old, I'm vintage. Dirt is old.

Offline goodfellow

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 08:10:04 PM »
Thanks torqueman!! The garage is somewhat insulated, but not a lot. The previous owner had cellulose blasted into the exterior walls, but must have run out of money because the rear wall is only half way done. I added fiberglas to the ceiling, so the interior is fairly well done.

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 08:35:41 PM »
Blow a few inches on top of the glass. Do a lot better a job.
Tool do job=Good tool

A 'Veteran'is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made
payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and
including his life.'

Offline sk farmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 11:31:31 PM »
i agree, finish the insulation. i redid a room in our house a few years back. i gutted it in the winter and that room was very cold and drafty with no insulation. the mor einsulation i put in the warmer it got. the amazing thing is the most drastic change came after i put up the last peice. it immediately warmed up and the draft stopped.
you can put candles on a cowpie, but that won't make it a birthday cake.

Offline torqueman2002

• Will work for tools.
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 07:03:29 AM »
I find it hard to justify the effort and cost for a space that occasionally is heated/cooled (40-50 days); most of the time I use 'as is' with the double OH door open for light and ventilation.

If it was a going full time business, no question it would be well insulated; just like a home.

Just my opinion.  :coffee:
I am Blockhead Man!

I'm not old, I'm vintage. Dirt is old.