Author Topic: cheap off set screwdriver idea  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Dustin19

cheap off set screwdriver idea
« on: April 18, 2011, 11:50:50 AM »
i know  most of us love the  chance to make  are  own tools or combine the  2.. recently i was just screwing around with a 1/4 bit and a 1/4 wrench and i figure for the price of a couple pawnshop special 1/4 wrenches  and some snap on 1/4 bits i could make my own   offset screwdrivers with the help of a wire welder..

thoughts on this idea ? i have a sk ratcheting offset driver but i figured something like this would make it so you dont have to worry about losing bits or  getting crud inside of the drive gears..

Tools and Garages

cheap off set screwdriver idea
« on: April 18, 2011, 11:50:50 AM »

Offline Aunt Phil

Re: cheap off set screwdriver idea
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 12:36:10 PM »
You'll be much better served using JB Weld.
Epoxy won't change the metallurgy of either component, it will serve the purpose, and when you need to change the bit it's simple to do by employing heat.
© Aunt Phil 2011

Offline fflintstone

• Tool slut
  • Former master curmudgeon
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 02:43:36 PM »
Epoxy won't change the metallurgy of either component, it will serve the purpose, and when you need to change the bit it's simple to do by employing heat.

X2
THE KING OF PARSIMONY WHEN BUYING TOOLS

foxtrot union charlie king oscar bravo alpha mike alpha.

World class master Mechanician

Offline Dustin19

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 12:13:30 PM »

X2

i bet  grey rtv silicone would work also..   all it needs is something to hold it in ..   will take  some more  planning another great thing would be is no more hunting for the right bit...

right now im  figuring itll be probally 4bucks per driver 3 for the bit (ill be using snap on since there the best i found)  and a dollar for the pawn shop special wrench..

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 01:29:26 PM »
That's a big NO on the RTV!  That shit breaks down and gets into the ratchet teeth.

A far superior product is Bubble Yum.  A chewed wad of that crap will plug & seal a gasoline leak in the bottom of a tank containing 22 gallons.  I can swear to that.

I have a set of bits that have balls in the shanks to retain them in the ratchet, no idea who made them because the package died long ago.  They are one of the tools that's handy as hell when you really need them and just more damn weight 99% of the time.
© Aunt Phil 2011

Offline Dustin19

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 01:34:45 PM »
That's a big NO on the RTV!  That shit breaks down and gets into the ratchet teeth.

A far superior product is Bubble Yum.  A chewed wad of that crap will plug & seal a gasoline leak in the bottom of a tank containing 22 gallons.  I can swear to that.

I have a set of bits that have balls in the shanks to retain them in the ratchet, no idea who made them because the package died long ago.  They are one of the tools that's handy as hell when you really need them and just more damn weight 99% of the time.
what ratchet teeth ? its gonna be a single  1/4 bit placed in  a 1/4 wrench no teeth..  i also never seen good rtv silicone breakdown unless its  been exposed to break parts cleaner for a while.. or the surface it was applied to wasnt clean..
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 01:50:06 PM by Dustin19 »

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 01:35:37 PM »
They are one of the tools that's handy as hell when you really need them and just more damn weight 99% of the time.

Can't that be said of 90 percent or more of the tools we carry?
Tool do job=Good tool

A 'Veteran'is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made
payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and
including his life.'

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 01:41:13 PM »
They are one of the tools that's handy as hell when you really need them and just more damn weight 99% of the time.

Can't that be said of 90 percent or more of the tools we carry?

99.897643% presuming somebody hasn't borrowed a few off the service truck.  That's based on tool inventory, the number is probably higher based on weight of tools carried.
© Aunt Phil 2011

Offline B

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 05:25:26 PM »
I buy the cheap one at HD round shaft with good two way bits for way less than $10