Author Topic: Welding gas is getting harder to get here in my area.  (Read 967 times)

Offline goodfellow

Welding gas is getting harder to get here in my area.
« on: March 08, 2011, 03:00:02 PM »
I picked up some C25 and Argon gas from my supplier last week. I've been doing business with these guys for quite a long time and they know me well enough to know that I didn't purchase all my cylinders from them. Some of my cylinders are over 40 years old, but they refill them without question and will even test them for me when the dates are due.

That said, I was told that this small local gas supply company has now become part of a larger national welding chain and that "new" customers will now have a much harder time getting their "customer owned" cylinders refilled unless they provide copies of the sales receipts. In addition, new retail customer will NOT be able to purchase cylinders larger than 150cf -- they can lease larger cylinders, but not purchase to own these larger sizes.

So, in the very near future, most all local retail customers will only be able to purchase the smaller sized bottles shown in the pics.

For old guys like me it doesn't matter much anymore, we pretty much own all of our cylinders and have good relations with suppliers, but you younger hobby guys may want to check out your local welding suppliers to see if they are planning any of these new business models -- especially in larger metropolitan areas where the BIG national suppliers dominate. Leasing is an option, but will cost you a heck of a lot more over the life of the cylinder than if you were to purchase outright.

So check it out --

Tools and Garages

Welding gas is getting harder to get here in my area.
« on: March 08, 2011, 03:00:02 PM »

Offline Stephenw

• ShopNGarage
Re: Welding gas is getting harder to get here in my area.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 04:55:22 PM »
I use NORCO for my personal bottles and US Welding for the Federal Government's bottles. If the hydrostat is overdue they'll charge the nominal fee for that service. Otherwise, it's a no questions asked swap.