Author Topic: Machining pipe trolley wheels --  (Read 6213 times)

Offline goodfellow

Machining pipe trolley wheels --
« on: January 15, 2011, 05:45:50 PM »
You guys know that I've been looking for a pipe trolley for my Host rail that I built a few weeks ago. I was going to go with a pipe trolley system, but decided that this may be just the project to design my own trolley.

Here is the Hoist project from a few weeks ago --

The pipe needs a trolley to make the hoist glide. So I chucked up two of these old iron wheels that I used several years ago to make English Wheel anvils with. IIRC I got about 20 of them from Northern Tool at the time because they were on sale for $1.50 each on a closeout.

The plan is to install some good bearings, and then cut the concave radius so that the wheel will track on the pipe.

First I chucked the wheels up and used a small boring bar to cut the bores for the bearings.

After the bores were done, I used my trusty homemade radius cutter to form the 2-1/2" radius that I needed for the rail.

This cast iron cuts very difficult because it flakes, so every now and then I smoothed it out with some emory cloth to make the surface easier for the cutter to traverse.

After about 30 minutes I was able to get my radius completed with one final smooth cut.

The finished trolley wheels with bearings installed --

Next, I'll have to build a frame around those wheels. That's a job for next week.    :beerdude:

Tools and Garages

Machining pipe trolley wheels --
« on: January 15, 2011, 05:45:50 PM »

Offline goodfellow

Re: Machining pipe trolley wheels --
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 06:02:55 PM »
Not a bad idea AP, but I had a ton of these wheels sittin' around and I also have plenty of bearings. Besides, I just came up with this scheme last night and decided to hit it hard this morning. It was a good few hours spent in the machine shop -- not a bad Saturday.

Offline goodfellow

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 11:31:35 PM »

As long as you're into this project, don't forget to install a self activating brake in the bottom of the trolley so you can leave it where you want to without the load following you. 

Good point!! hadn't thought of that.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 10:03:46 AM »
America won't survive with open borders.

Offline goodfellow

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 10:56:57 AM »
I guess it is to late for this

http://www.proliftsolutions.com.au/productdisplay.asp?productid=269

I looked at that trolley system Heiny. I have a friend in Australia that could get a good deal on that trolley in New Zealand. For some reason it's much cheaper in NZ (must be the taxes). Anyway, I had a boat load of these cast wheels and also the bearings, so I just went ahead and decided to go DIY style. It's more fun that way; I really enjoy working in my warm machine shop -- a nice way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 12:49:27 PM »
I hear ya.......   :beerdude:
America won't survive with open borders.