Author Topic: Tool a dex.  (Read 2695 times)

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
Tool a dex.
« on: January 09, 2011, 10:40:17 PM »

1. Leverage Wall Space

The Tool-O-Dex consists of four 2 x 4–foot pegboards, each attached to a 1-inch-diameter ABS pipe. The pegboard-to-pipe assemblies are held vertically in wooden supports. The individual pegboard sheets swivel, allowing access to tools as needed and folding flat against the wall when not in use.

2. Split Spines

Start by carefully cutting straight slots lengthwise in four 5-foot lengths of ABS pipe using a table saw. To do this, first bolt the ABS pipe to a scrap 2 x 4 and lower the blade height so the saw's teeth will cut the plastic but miss the bolts. Once the slot is cut, remove the 2 x 4 and pound pegboard into the slot with a rubber mallet. Secure the pegboard to the pipe with five evenly spaced 1½-inch No. 10 bolts.

3. Stiffen Pegboards

To stiffen the panels, attach wood or metal strips to the edge of the pegboard opposite the ABS spine. Drill five evenly spaced holes in the strips and pegboard; use No. 10 bolts and nuts for assembly.

4. Add Supports

Scraps of 2 x 6 lumber form blocks that support the Tool-O-Dex's ABS spines at the top and bottom. To make the bottom support, use a spade bit to drill four 13/8-inch-diameter, ¾-inch-deep mortises into an open-sided box made of five 2 x 6–inch wood blocks. Screw shelf brackets to the box, and drive 4-inch lag bolts through the brackets and into the wall studs. For the top support, drill 13/8-inch holes through a 2 x 6. Fit the pipes in the bottom support and slip the top board over the pipes. Cap the pipe ends. Use 4-inch lag bolts and shelf brackets to fasten the top support to the wall studs.

5. Hang Tools

Use pegboard hooks to position your tools. For large items, such as circular saws, cut a tool-size hole in the front or rear pegboard page, then hook the tool above the hole. The extra space will allow the page to fold flat.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to-plans/woodworking/build-the-ultimate-diy-tool-rack

No way I would post this at the other site the box people would kneejerk cut the idea down. But for some one with a fair sized collection of tools this could be handy.
Tool do job=Good tool

A 'Veteran'is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made
payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and
including his life.'

Tools and Garages

Tool a dex.
« on: January 09, 2011, 10:40:17 PM »

Offline Dustin19

Re: Tool a dex.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 10:49:04 PM »
nice idea put i dont have any wall space left

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 10:50:53 PM »
That contraption has been updated since first published in the 1950s Popular Mechanics DIY Encyclopedia of the 1950s.

I remember it because somebody gave me the complete set as a gift probably 20 years ago, and I read them cover to cover for something to do.  I always wanted to build one of the welding torches that was made from iron pipe and used city gas and a vacuum cleaner just for the hell of it.
© Aunt Phil 2011

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 11:12:01 PM »
So I'm not crazy! Someone else remembers that article!  I've been trying to find it for a couple of years now. Just to rub it in a friend of mines nose that there really was such an Idea.

Yes it's an old idea but just a valid today as it was then. The put every thing in boxes boy don't realize how handy some peg board can be.
Tool do job=Good tool

including his life.'

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 11:53:01 PM »
Rusty, you remember back in the 50s when Civil Defense had them giant Rescue trucks the size of a moving van built on REO Gold Comet chassis?

They had huge doors on both sides with liftoff toolboards some contractor made a fortune selling the government with every tool mounted to the board. 

Whoever designed the truck must have got fired or died before the manual was written for the truck, so nobody knew why the hell the toolboard had 4 handles, so everybody more or less figured the crew was supposed to dismount the board (half a sheet of 3/4 plywood reenforced) and carry that instead of just grabbing tools and carrying them.  Nobody realized the toolboards were trench & tunnel shoring!

BTW, I've been in a couple shops where that tool storage system was used.  It works OK in a 1 man shop, and it becomes a damn nightmare when 2 men are trying to work with the same tools.   The same vert pallet system works really well if the pallets are sliding on overhead rails though.  A closet can hold a hell of a lot on vert pallets.
© Aunt Phil 2011

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 12:01:53 AM »
Any tool storage becomes a mess when two people try to use the same one. I've seen fist fights erupt at community boxes before.
Tool do job=Good tool

including his life.'

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 12:15:53 AM »
Any tool storage becomes a mess when two people try to use the same one. I've seen fist fights erupt at community boxes before.

You must have worked in some real crapholes.
Everybody knows there is to be no fighting or jostling around the gangbox, the damn coffee urn might get tipped over! 
© Aunt Phil 2011

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 12:19:53 AM »
Some of them would be happy to be called crapholes.  Real messes to work at. You know your typical fourth generation heavy equipment stealerships.
Tool do job=Good tool

including his life.'

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 12:29:08 AM »
Some of them would be happy to be called crapholes.  Real messes to work at. You know your typical fourth generation heavy equipment stealerships.

I can't think of a one that has lasted 4 generations.  I have sure been in a number that didn't need 2 generations to become crapholes.  The only one I can think of that ain't a craphole is Syracuse Supply, and that's only because they steal so much money they can afford a maid.  Crapperpillar dealers are like that.
© Aunt Phil 2011