Author Topic: anyone else use 5gallon buckets for portable boxes  (Read 4320 times)

Offline Dustin19

anyone else use 5gallon buckets for portable boxes
« on: January 07, 2011, 04:35:07 PM »
 so i been gather up a bunch of tools to take to a shop im gonna be working   in for a farmer till i fix the leaking hydrostat in the  uniloader and  the oil  leak in a tractor.. i have  a few handboxes but its always easier for me to just throw everything in a couple buckets   then try to organise a handbox.. am i alone in this ?

Tools and Garages

« on: January 07, 2011, 04:35:07 PM »

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
Re: anyone else use 5gallon buckets for portable boxes
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 05:06:37 PM »
I've done it a few times over the years.  In a way it's handier but then the 5/16's you have to have ends up on the very bottom of the bucket.
Tool do job=Good tool

A 'Veteran'is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made
payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and
including his life.'

Offline goodfellow

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 05:22:16 PM »
I have a "road box" and it's been organized well over 50 times in the past 30 years. I always tailor  the box to the cars that I own and/or the projects I'm doing. Right now the box is mostly full of metric stuff since we don't have many SAE fasteners in our cars anymore.

Offline Dustin19

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 05:47:48 PM »
I've done it a few times over the years.  In a way it's handier but then the 5/16's you have to have ends up on the very bottom of the bucket.
i hear that   i usually carry a small box with like ratchets and sockets,small wrenches,etc.

im talking like long ratchets,alignment punches, breakerbars ,large wrenches,etc

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 07:22:24 PM »
I've done those a lot but it seems like when I'm working I'll always hang or lay a small one on the pile then it'll disappear to the bottom.

I have a bad habit of keeping tools picked up but sometimes they'll get laid in the wrong box/bucket.

Doing house calls now? Some good money in it at times.

Tool do job=Good tool

including his life.'

Offline Dustin19

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 07:50:55 PM »
I've done those a lot but it seems like when I'm working I'll always hang or lay a small one on the pile then it'll disappear to the bottom.

I have a bad habit of keeping tools picked up but sometimes they'll get laid in the wrong box/bucket.

this the first one but ill keep doing it if the places are clean a couple farms i used to do service calls too were nothing but mud.... i mean mud that was  up to my shins when it goes to that kind of work my rate goes up a bit.

its also cheaper for me  and him...   he has a heated barn to tearn them apart in..  so i dont have to run the salamander and  he doesnt have to drive/transport them to my place,

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 07:55:31 PM »
Personally, other than when pulling off a job with a bucket of filthy tools to load back into the truck I detest the 5 gallon bucket carriage.  Over the years I've watched the "system" evolve from a bare mud bucket to the current generation of "Bucketmate" aprons, and I find it an indicator of someone who will not be worthy of their employ. 

I've fired one sumbych for standing crying there wasn't room in a gangbox to store his damn bucket.  Hey shithead, get a damn box and lock it to the friggin chain like everybody else does.  Only craft I know of who carry tools in buckets are Concrete Placers & Brickies.

WTF is an organized handbox?
© Aunt Phil 2011

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 08:00:13 PM »

this the first one but ill keep doing it if the places are clean a couple farms i used to do service calls too were nothing but mud.... i mean mud that was  up to my shins when it goes to that kind of work my rate goes up a bit.

its also cheaper for me  and him...   he has a heated barn to tearn them apart in..  so i dont have to run the salamander and  he doesnt have to drive/transport them to my place,

You're obviously young and apparently haven't heard of MudBoards.  Go find yourself some decent pallets and make up a set of MudBoards.  When you get them done coat them with either cheap paint or varnish so you can hose em off.  When yo get real smart you throw the MudBoards on concrete floors cause they are warmer and better to stand on.   Don't forget to take a branding iron to them and put your initials on them cause MudBoards get swiped fast on jobs.
© Aunt Phil 2011

Offline strik9

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 08:13:12 PM »
Just  about every mechanic in Mex has a bucket full of tools heading out to an on site job.  Not too many buy handboxes and even fewer roller boxes.  Pegboard and cabinets abound with the trusty bucket backing up for road trips.
 The guys in the diesel shop all use boxes and I use bags, but this is an exception really.

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 08:32:35 PM »
Bags are acceptable.  I have at least 8 of them and generally a few are on the truck.  I even carry a bag with a quick change of clothes, and another bailout bag with cold weather clothes and a spare rainsuit, just in case.  I also have a few rolls of paper towel in the cutoff legs of old pants that got sewed into bags.  They keep the towels clean and are easy to grab, especially when somebody is bleeding.

I see it as damn hard to bill for professional service when the man shows up with a bucket of tools that look just like the bucket Waldo the neighbor has.  It's one hell of a lot easier to bill and collect for a man who showed up in a clean uniform looking like a mechanic than for some lardass who showed up with his ass hanging out of his crappy torn pants.  Commercial customers have expectations, and you either fill them or play hell collecting your bill.

I haven't carried a box in over 20 years, all of mine are either on wheels or get moved from truck to job on wheels.  I've had customers more than willing to help me bring my tools in because of those wheels, and I've created a positive impression in their mind because they believed I was there to fill their expectations.  That ain't happening with no damn plastic bucket!
© Aunt Phil 2011

Offline B

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 09:15:18 PM »
 buckets hold my cleaning tools
tool case hold my tools for on the road service

with the right pallets in a case it is easy to organize and or strip out after every use

I use a lot of doubles for the tool case  as I do not ant to forget anything  the big money tools still do not have duplicates but I am working on it slowly as money becomes available. My big two I want duplicate of are 1/4" & 3/8" drive torque wrenches in Nm then i will only need one specific tool to double and it is fairly cheap in comparison to some of my bigger more expensive specialty tools.

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 09:18:53 PM »
AP what do you put the breaker bars and pry bars in? You know the 3+ feet long ones you use on ag equipment?

Not to mention the 2 foot long or more wrenches you need at times? I can see using a bucket to take that stuff in and keep it close while all the smaller stuff was in a box.

You start rollin in too bigger a box around here and the farmers are going to be giving the eagle eye to your bill. They figure only way you can afford that thing is by screwing them some where.

Tool do job=Good tool

including his life.'

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 01:23:40 AM »
Rusty, last time I went anyplace to work on farm equipment has to have been over 25 years ago, and that was doing a favor for a so called friend who forgot my name before he lost sight of my taillights.

The longest bar I have any love for is 48", and it rode on the rocker panel of my Explorer for 5 years after it moved from the rocker panel of my S-10 Blazer.  You'd be shocked how quick most customers are willing to go fetch the orange bar from my vehicle when I need it so I don't have to do that myself.   The longest after that is a Chinese bar about 24" with the Craptanelon handle, and that fits real nice into a couple straps on the toolbag.   I think I still have half a dozen bars forged from jackhandles in one of my boxes, just need to hunt them up and consolidate things now that I have the box in the van.

I firmly believe there is a lot to be said for style.  Mine was to be able to walk (preferably ride a golfcart) to the offending machine, eyeball it, and then bring the tools in I needed.  I generally bring a few sockets bigger and smaller than I think I'll need, as well as wrenches, and my little plastic box containing my Smith torch on the 3 foot whip hose.  I became a legend for refusing to use customer torches in the 80s.  Their gas and their hoses, no problem, just not their damn torch that's been run over with a forklift, with the plugged tip.  I also have the advantage of rarely being on a job lasting less than a week.   My act for years was to be the #2 man on the job behind the man who got there first to determine the problem and call in with what was needed.  What I wasn't carrying came in the 24 foot van behind me.  In 01 I moved up to the first man status, and in 05 I got drug in the office to listen to customers "Maintenance engineers" tell me their story of woe, along with how much an hour the breakdown was costing them.  They couldn't see the big grin on my face because I or one of my men had already told them what was coming, and how they could delay or prevent it. 

Hand to god, I haven't put a piece of pipe on a wrench to extend the wrench since 1987.  That is an unsafe technique according to safety experts employed by insurance carriers.  Are you aware the wrench itself can break causing your body to lurch suddenly into open machinery, or worse the pipe can slip off the handle which can result in you falling, with a 30% chance that damn pipe still in your hand will whack you in the head?  Very bad thing to do.  Fortunately wrench handle extenders pin into place on the wrench, and come in lengths insufficient to provide sufficient leverage to break the wrench itself. 

Easiest way to make money from BTO farmers is to give them an inexpensive multimeter and talk to them on the phone.  When you're good at it they scare themself inside of 4 minutes and start asking if you can get there faster.  I think they all slept through Physics class in high school.
© Aunt Phil 2011

R19nox

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 12:32:30 PM »
Checked Crappy Tire, but nothing more than a 10mm. Anyone seen some in their travels? Princess maybe? Dont want a Snap on Quality for the few times Ill use it.
B.Waz