Author Topic: Craftsman (Waterloo) top/bottom box review -- Woot Closeout  (Read 5329 times)

Offline goodfellow

Craftsman (Waterloo) top/bottom box review -- Woot Closeout
« on: March 10, 2014, 09:14:13 PM »
This is the box that I had ordered two weeks ago from Woot, when they advertised this combination for $249.

Due to the snow storm last week it arrived somewhat late, but UPS was great in keeping me informed where the items were actually located, and why there was a delay. That way I wasn't in "limbo" trying to figure out if Woot actually had shipped.

The boxes arrived last Saturday and I wasn't expecting much, given the quality of Sears cabinets these days. That said, what initially sold me on these boxes was the fact that the top box was 16" wide, compared to traditional Craftsman boxes that run 12" wide. Also, one of the posts on the Woot website mentioned that these boxes were Waterloo manufactured, but they weren't absolutely sure about that fact. Well, the boxes are indeed Waterloo. The documentation that came both boxes showed the manufacturing ID as 706, which is the ID that Sears used for Waterloo Industries.

Here's the hitch though. This combo set seems to be an older Sears set that Woot procured from some source other than Sears. Aside from the fact that this set is no longer available in any online listing, the documentation and the literature provided all still say Sears Roebuck and Co. The new Sears is called Sears Holdings, and the old Roebuck reference hasn't been used in a long time.

These are "old school" friction drawer slides, and they seem typical of the sturdy slides that were so common up until a few decades ago. The metal is also thicker than modern chests. Just for kicks I walked over to my neighbor's house and compared his red 12" wide Craftsman top box, that he purchased five years ago, to my box. This 16" box is a lot thicker and has heavier drawer slides.

This box reminds me of the models and style that Sears sold some 15-20 years ago. It can't be any older, since the documentation is also in Spanish. Any tool box older than that would have only been described in English. I'm impressed with the casters -- nice 2" thick, 5" hard rubber design.

Locks are marginal (as is the case with all these boxes -- even going back a few decades)

Overall, would I do it again? Yes, for the price it's a good buy for an American made box. That said, is it a competitor to the HF 26 combo box which sells for around $330? Not a chance!! The HF box has this combo unit beat by a mile. Thicker steel, better casters, ball bearing slides, more shallow drawers, better hinges, etc.. the list goes on. The Chinese produced HF box is the clear winner in the 26" category.

.....but, for nostalgia's sake, I'll take the old Waterloo because we probably won't find another new set like this for quite a while.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 08:01:29 AM by goodfellow »

Tools and Garages

Craftsman (Waterloo) top/bottom box review -- Woot Closeout
« on: March 10, 2014, 09:14:13 PM »

Offline fflintstone

• Tool slut
  • Former master curmudgeon
Re: Craftsman (Waterloo) top/bottom box review -- Woot Closeout
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 11:17:46 PM »
nice old school style score.
I have the HF 26" set, don't use the top box still in the plastic.
THE KING OF PARSIMONY WHEN BUYING TOOLS

foxtrot union charlie king oscar bravo alpha mike alpha.

World class master Mechanician

Offline goodfellow

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 11:18:49 AM »
I found a 16" wide intermediate chest on sale at Sears. It's about the only one they sell for 16" wide boxes. The chest showed up last evening and I must say I'm pleasantly surprised. This is very much in keeping with the old style chests. Thick steel, sturdy drawers on ball bearing slides, and a really good finish. Nothing "homeowner quality" about this one. Just proves that Sears still has a few outstanding products. The manufacturer code is 706, and it doesn't show up on the old lists that are posted on line. Anyone know which company is associated with the 706 code?

This is a pretty nice toolbox stack. It may be a bit high for me, but it rolls and swings easily; so we'll see if I can work with this thing over the long term.

I'm pretty impressed for the price ---

Offline Uncle Buck

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 01:51:13 PM »
That is a real nice looking stack Ray. Honestly, for me I would still prefer that to anything sold by HF. To me most HF boxes drawers are simply too deep for my liking for starters, and second, I just prefer the older Craftsman boxes (not the cheap and tinny new ones) to anything sold by HF, but again, that is just me.

Offline goodfellow

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 10:39:22 PM »
It's been a great little box Buck. I added a folding side tray, and a few other "doo dads" for storing solvents and screw drivers, and it's quickly becoming my "go to" box for general maintenance work in and out of the garage.