Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vapor canister and overflow tank --  (Read 6 times)

Offline goodfellow

• View Profile
Vapor canister and overflow tank --
« on: September 05, 2010, 02:30:27 PM »
It was a great day today. Temps are perfect for painting, so I decided to tackle the vapor canister and all-brass coolant overflow tank. The media blaster made short work of getting the rust and scale off, put the paint prep took a little bit longer.

The rusted vapor canister and brackets -- it sits low in the engine compartment and rusts fairly easily.

After a good sanding with 220 grit paper and silver engine enamel

The overflow tank is all hand soldered brass. The steel brackets are very rusted though. First job was cleaning the inside with oven cleaner; followed by lacquer thinner and a thorough rinse with detergent. Old coolant is rank and looks like grease, and needs to be removed before paint prep.

After media blasting and sanding with 220 grit paper.

Three coats of catalyzed Valspar engine enamel -- 10 minutes between each coat. The finish is "hard as a rock". There is something about painting black gloss enamel in direct sunlight. The stuff just seems to flow like magic. The shine is incredible -- and noticeably different (to my eye at least) than when painting on a warm overcast day.

Enough for today! Time to enjoy this great weather with an adult beverage -- or two!! :beerdude:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 06:52:47 PM by goodfellow »

Re: Vapor canister and overflow tank --

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Vapor canister and overflow tank --
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 08:42:34 PM »
Looks good as always. Thanks for the post. I really needed it today.
Tool do job=Good tool

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first,
the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. - Theodore Roosevelt