Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A new Sun Alternator Service Center (SASC)  (Read 20 times)

Offline goodfellow

• View Profile
A new Sun Alternator Service Center (SASC)
« on: August 17, 2010, 12:56:04 PM »
I have a Sun alternator tester, but it is a combination of odd pieces that were sourced from various places to make one unit. Although I've been looking, I never was able to find a complete "Service Center" work station.
Here is the one I pieced together and refurbished. It works, but didn't have many of the OEM options.

Then last week I saw an ad on CL in Richmond VA and called the lady selling it. She didn't include a pic and only a description. Obviously she didn't know what she was trying to sell, but I drove down anyway. To my great surpise, it was a complete, original Sun Service Center 1600 workstation. It included a very nice VAT-33 tester and all a slew of connectors. I got it home this morning and just cleaned it with simple green and WD40 -- nothing else needs to be done. The cabinet is showing some pitting, bit I'm going to leave it just like this. Here it is after a good cleaning --

Then SURPRISE!!! when I opened up the bottom cabinet I found an antique Sun Battery and Ampere tester -- not in that great shape, but it can be restored and added to my collection. 

Not a bad day!!! I paid almost nothing for all of this stuff. The lady was glad to see it go --

I like the idea of a complete alternator service center in my garage. It gives it character     :beerdude:

Re: A new Sun Alternator Service Center (SASC)

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: A new Sun Alternator Service Center (SASC)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 02:45:46 PM »
You are the luckiest puppy around!
Tool do job=Good tool

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first,
the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. - Theodore Roosevelt