Author Topic: My meditation station  (Read 3004 times)

Offline 1977Impala

• World Famous
My meditation station
« on: July 05, 2010, 02:43:43 PM »
Well After serving in the U.S.Navy for 8 years, Meeting my wife online  and her living west of Richmond,Va. I got out and moved up here to a little place called Gum Spring,Va. in 2004 we bought a house on 3 1/4 acres

Had a small storage shed , but that wasn't gonna get it.

So I started planing my shop...But the best place for it was right where the shed was..lol

We decided we would scoot the shed over and build a 30x30 with a 20x20 pad out front.
So the building started.

Then the block started going up.

When the mason go done I went out and did some measuring and found they had missed the height by 1 coarse of block..lol So he had to come back and add another one.

Then the framing went up..

Trusses up, and roof sheathing done, Spec'd plywood and they tried to insist that OSB was just as good I told em NO thanks  Don't want that crap on my roof.

After it was built I realized I should have used scissor trussed for some extra height.
Prepped for the concrete pour..

The boss making her inspection rounds.

And finished with the contractor, ready for me to do the wiring and sheetrocking, Little did I know It would be a while before everything except wiring would be done..lol
A test..

Moving stuff in..

Finally after 3 years I put done some epoxy on the floor.

Did both sides with 2 different products and used it as a test.

the dark grey is rustolium  solvent based base cote and clear and the lighter side is a single coat of Cantol  100% solids based kit. no top coat.
later on I picked up a nice used sterling 75k BTU propane heater from craigslist for 100 bucks.

Had no help So I raised it up with 3 ratchet straps.lol

ran my own gas line and hooked it up and plumed the exhaust.

Gotta have some tunes

Replaced the old bottom box with a HF 52 inch wide setup..

Still alot to do, But its a project..lol

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 02:58:00 PM by 1977Impala »
"Ten six niner! Ten six niner!, We've got whores in the city, we
need back up now!

Tools and Garages

My meditation station
« on: July 05, 2010, 02:43:43 PM »

Offline Fins/413

• A Tool whore
  • The man with the 57 models
Re: My meditation station
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 04:17:42 PM »
Very nice that sheet rock and insulation will make a world of difference. Looks to be pretty rural, my brother has a place about an hour south of there and just a little bit further west in Lunenburg Co. Its in the woods sure enough. If Gum Spring is like it is down there is pretty country.
Eric Corse
Wake Forest, NC
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 Ford Econoline

Offline goodfellow

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 05:16:32 PM »
Great post!!! I like that garage -- and I'm jealous. Wish i had that much room.

Offline 1977Impala

• World Famous
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 06:49:54 PM »
Trust me goodfellow, The ol saying is true about no matter how big your garage is, you just find more junk to fill it up..lol I am constantly in a battle with myself about dragging crap home ...and about once every few months I have to force my self to clean house and toss some crap I have saved and will never use.
need back up now!

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 08:12:49 PM »
But if you're like me. Ten minutes after the dumpster gets dumped you desperately need the stuff and have to go buy new!
Tool do job=Good tool

A 'Veteran'is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made
payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and
including his life.'

Offline 1977Impala

• World Famous
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 10:05:18 PM »
But if you're like me. Ten minutes after the dumpster gets dumped you desperately need the stuff and have to go buy new!

Yea 9 times out of 10 its that way, even though i have dragged it around from house to house for 10 years. the day after I chuck it I find a use for it..lol funny how that works.
need back up now!

Offline Fins/413

• A Tool whore
  • The man with the 57 models
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 08:40:32 AM »
Its that son a gun Murphy.
Eric Corse
Wake Forest, NC
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 Ford Econoline

Offline kansei

• The Online Garage
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 08:21:02 PM »
First off, very nice garage/shop there! I'm jealous of the setting you have and the acreage. Got an acre on this end, but it isn't enough. I like my elbow room. Love the neighbors, but wish the houses were about 150ft further apart.

Amen to several replies here...

Yep, no matter how large the space is, it's too small five minutes after you move in. I started with a 24'x32', filled that up QUICK. Added a 10'x23' tool room, now really need to add a 48'x60' off the back, but found out that my wonderful township has changed all the zoning rules since I moved in 10 years ago- without a public vote, of course! I can only add 600 more sq.ft. Ugh....

And I have "cleaned house" twice now over the past decade, and sure enough, soon as I pitched some older parts I never thought I'd ever use.... along comes a car that needs exactly what I tossed....

Question for you on the flooring. You said you put it down three years after you built the place? How did it do with adhering to the floor where you might have had oil stains? My shop floor is covered in them, and I have always feared epoxy flooring may not stick....

Neal.

Neal A.E. Swigert
Mazda Automobile and Wankel Rotary Engine Collector
Greenville, Michigan

Offline 1977Impala

• World Famous
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 05:33:19 PM »
I just cleaned and cleaned with orange floor cleaner, purple stuff and simple green, and a 2000 PSI pressure washers, and then did the acid and crossed my finders, I had some huge stains from transmission fluid and oil. but So far its holding up good.
need back up now!