Author Topic: Wire wheeling dust safety --  (Read 1669 times)

Offline goodfellow

Wire wheeling dust safety --
« on: June 16, 2010, 11:40:29 AM »
I just realized that this hasn't been disussed. Many of us have a dedicated bench grinder with at least one wire wheel for use in cleaning parts. It's a very efficient way to clean, but it does generate a lot of dust -- dangerous dust. Cleaning fasteners, parts, and tools generates a huge amount of metal dust. That dust often contains chromium, cadmium, aluminum, brass, asbestos (on early bake assembles), lead, and a host of other nasty heavy metals and compounds that are turned into air borne particles by the force of the wire wheel.

The best solution is to use a water trap where the exhaust ports of the bench grinder are hooked into a manifold of PVC pipe and run into a sealed 5 gal bucket (with a little water on the bottom) via a flexible plastic hose (such as a shop vac hose). However, if you have a setup like me, where the grinder is constantly moved around the best way to trap most of that dust is with a heavy cloth blasting buffer that is dropped right behind the exhaust ports of the grinder. The fine particles will hit the heavy cloth and become trapped while the heavy particles will drop on the floor. This is not optimum, but better than nothing.

In these pics i setup such a cloth barrier behind my grinder and you can see the dust that was captured from just a few days of work. Once the cloth becomes saturated with broken wire and dust, it goes into the trash.

Of course, it goes without saying that wearing one of these while wheeling is also a good idea.
Need proof!!!! just blow your nose into a clean white tissue after a good wheeling session -- nuff said!!

Tools and Garages

Wire wheeling dust safety --
« on: June 16, 2010, 11:40:29 AM »

Offline Papaw

• Tool Talk
Re: Wire wheeling dust safety --
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 12:15:22 AM »
Good points. I bet more than half of us don't heed your advice all the time.
"No tool like an old tool"
Visit  http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php
A forum for Tool Collectors
Brazoria County Forum

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 01:32:52 AM »
OK side note: Steel or iron shavings or dust sprinkled around your flowers will make deeper reds and stronger stems.
Tool do job=Good tool

A 'Veteran'is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made
payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and
including his life.'

Offline 1977Impala

• World Famous
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 10:14:24 PM »
After too many times of having crap jerked out of my hands, Pliers or whatever I'm holding the bolt with I have just about given up on a wire wheel on a bench grinder. lol  only grinding wheels for me. I like my fingerprints and finger nails.
"Ten six niner! Ten six niner!, We've got whores in the city, we
need back up now!

Offline Fins/413

• A Tool whore
  • The man with the 57 models
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 10:30:57 AM »
I do mine mostly in a drill press, I like the ability to slow it down.
Eric Corse
Wake Forest, NC
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 Ford Econoline