Author Topic: Making a cheap valve spring adaptor for XK engines --  (Read 1312 times)

Offline goodfellow

Making a cheap valve spring adaptor for XK engines --
« on: May 19, 2010, 01:34:14 PM »
XK cylinder heads have recessed valve keepers. They sit right below the valve bucket and are quite deep. Traditional valve spring compressor jaws can't reach that deep. Jaguar makes an adaptor that allows conventional valve spring compressors to be used. Unfortunately I don't have one -- never had one, because it's so easy to make one from a short piece of 1" iron pipe.

It fairly simple! cut or mill two 5/8" access slots into a 2.5" piece of pipe -- leaving a 1/8" lip on the bottom. This one was made 25 years ago, and it still works.

The threaded end of the pipe is perfect for clamping tightly into the jaws of standard valve spring compressor jaws. The jaws will fit very tight on the threads. The slots should be pointing to the sides (i.e 90 degrees to the frame of the compressor)

Adjust the valve spring compressor to size on the head and compress the valve inside the bucket. The keepers will float free and I use a small magnetic screw driver to retrieve them through the 5/8" slots. Works every time!!! and saved about $50 for an expensive Jag accessory.

BTW -- these iron pipe adaptors can be made for any length recessed valve stems, -- so it does save some cash because you can make your own as needed.

The naked valve bucket -- the oil seals were like rock and just broke into pieces. The valve (#1 intake) was in excellent shape and cleaned up well with a brass wheel on the bench grinder.

To keep the valves in order -- I present my home made "Rube Goldberg" valve box. Isn't it a beauty!!     :wow:

I spent a lot of time and energy on that design   :lol2:  LOL   :lol:   It keeps the valves in order and the bagged hardware in the box along with it.

I know it's a POS -- but it works  :lol3:

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 01:38:52 PM by goodfellow »

Tools and Garages

Making a cheap valve spring adaptor for XK engines --
« on: May 19, 2010, 01:34:14 PM »