Author Topic: Short description of "Safety Wire" tying!  (Read 1660 times)

Offline goodfellow

Short description of "Safety Wire" tying!
« on: March 25, 2010, 06:29:39 PM »
I don't know if this is of interest, but since I'm buttoning up the diff, I thought I'd take some pics of the safety wire ties that are so common on older British cars.

I used some stainless 14 or 16 gauge wire (can't remember the specific size since I bought it such a long time ago).
I do have a Taiwanese set of safety wire pliers -- they are good enough for the small amount of wire that I tie every year.

The wire is inserted through the hole in the fastener and pulled tight with the pliers --

Next the wire is routed over the top and to the right of the fastener to make sure that the wire tension is pulled towards tightening the fastener (if it were to loosen, the wire would keep it from turning to the left. 

The safety wire pliers are clipped onto the wire just about even with other fastener -- and them the plier is pulled in the middle (like an old fashioned top toy) to twist the wire in place and to take up tension. Only problem here is that too much twisting will break the wire, and not enough won't provide tension. So like many other automotive tasks; it's a "feel" thing.

Next just one of the wire ends is pulled through the other fastener -- the other remains loose

Again it's important to think "tightening" so the tension of the wire must be towards the right to keep the fastener from moving left. In my case, I routed the remaining loose wire underneath the fastener and joined it up with the wire end that was previously pulled through the fastener itself.

Again, the pliers are attached to both wire ends, and spun until there is tension towards the right (tightening) side.  The idea is to put tightening tension on both fasteners with a single wire loop.

Here are the tied diff mounting brackets with their repsective safety ties.

Tools and Garages

Short description of "Safety Wire" tying!
« on: March 25, 2010, 06:29:39 PM »

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
Re: Short description of "Safety Wire" tying!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 11:42:42 PM »
Excellent write up as usual GF. Those wires bring back memories.

It has been so long since I did them I had about forgotten a lot of the tricks with them. Thanks for the refresher course!
Tool do job=Good tool

A 'Veteran'is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made
payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and
including his life.'

Offline uthscsaedu

Re: Short description of "Safety Wire" tying!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 01:17:15 PM »
thanks.  I always wondered what they were for