Author Topic: Import equipment that works!!  (Read 1448 times)

Offline goodfellow

Import equipment that works!!
« on: September 22, 2009, 03:29:44 PM »
I don't want to make this into an Asin tool bashing event. Let's just say that these tools have been well used in my shop and have held up well, despite the fact that I have not treated them with "kid gloves".

The first is the HF 12" disc/belt sander. From wood to steel, this machine has done it all in my shop and keeps on working. It has an external 1.5 hP motor which makes maintenance a breeze. I tried the smaller, more popular 9" disk combo machines, but they don't compare.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40643

The second is the HF 20 ton Hydraulic Press. I bought it over a decade ago when I used to do a lot more transmission work, and it has been a great tool. For well under $200, this tool has paid for itself dozens of times over.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97022

Third is the venerable 4x6 metal cutting bandsaw that is a standard in most hobbyist shops. I have the older green Taiwan sourced version which seems to faring better than the PRC sources "red" model. However, I've heard that HF does offer this new "black" model (I'm not sure if it actually is manufactured in Taiwan though) that seems to have a better reputation for quality.

Once it was "dialed in" and outfitted with a bi-metal blade, the saw has been a real "treasure" to own.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66435

If any of you have a large piece of Taiwanese/Chinese/Japanese shop equipment that has proven itself in hard and continued use -- please post it.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 03:44:45 PM by goodfellow »

Tools and Garages

Import equipment that works!!
« on: September 22, 2009, 03:29:44 PM »

Offline J.A.F.E.

Re: Import equipment that works!!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 05:58:06 PM »
Over the last few years I've gotten some HF stuff that has worked out well. The engine stand - not really suitable for a fully dressed BB, but for smaller engines and transmissions works well. If I need to to do a bigger engine I'll get the bigger one. The engine crane has really worked out well and there are no issues at so far. The transmission jackI've used more for aircooled engines than transmissions but I did do one 350 trans. So far no issues there, either. The engine support bar also is quite handy and for less than $50 on sale a good deal. I could afford that, but not the $400 SO one.

If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking.

General George S. Patton

J.A.F.E. needs Par-X tools sell them to him.

General George S. Patton

Offline 1977Impala

• World Famous
Re: Import equipment that works!!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 09:55:06 AM »
My old advance auto  purchased  powerlift engine hoist has been great, I bought it and a engine stand from a guy for 150 bucks, he had used it once. Still had the sticker on it that had $219.00 for the hoist.
"Ten six niner! Ten six niner!, We've got whores in the city, we
need back up now!