Author Topic: Refurbishing a Marquette Redi-Fast Battery Charger --- Finished!  (Read 22543 times)

Offline goodfellow

Re: Refurbishing a Marquette Redi-Fast Battery Charger --- Finished!
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 10:40:41 PM »
Goodfellow, thanks for posting this. your pics have helped me a lot. I got a 321s model a while back and am now getting around to looking at it. someone took out the silicon diodes and the piece that they were attached to out before I got hold of it. Does your diodes have any info on them? Thanks in advance for any info!!! :thankyou:

I opened up the charger to see if ther were any identifiable markings on those diodes. Unfortunately, due to age, there is nothing left that I can find to suggest what values are involved. That said, I would think that a modern bridge rectifier that could handle 50 or 60 amps would be good enough for one of these old chargers.

Tools and Garages

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 10:40:41 PM »

Offline Scrapper Greg

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 01:29:08 PM »
Thanks for the ree-ply goodfellow. I have a line on the rectifier diodes of the same design. So all I have to do is to fab up the bus bar and insulators/mount. Here's a couple of pics of mine. Guess I am  going to have to fix mine up too!! Maybe a build thread?

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 05:06:10 PM »
Build threads are always nice!
Tool do job=Good tool

A 'Veteran'is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made
payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and
including his life.'

Offline Scrapper Greg

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 09:39:58 PM »
OK. Got my Diode situation squared away. Put in a 30V 500A , I believe they call it a Schottky. It has a buss bar output and 2 threaded inputs. Bolted everything together and I have power!!I had to re arrange some wires, but it appears everything (except the little green light) is working. Guess I will have to do a build thread of sorts. Only thing I won't be able to do is a full repaint. The front is stenciled an I have no way, and I don't think I have the patience to mask and trim it. Only problem (maybe) is the rectifier on the solenoid. I think it might be bad. Will do some more testing. Next post, build thread!! :cartangrys:

Offline goodfellow

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 07:10:03 AM »
Excellent --- looking forward to it. Thank you very much for posting the build.

Offline goodfellow

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2011, 12:23:10 PM »
Looks like there's another one on ebay. This is only the third Redi-Fast charger of this type that I have seen on ebay in 10 years. They were popular in the day, but they were also beat to hell in professional shops.

Since they cost so much new, they were rarely purchased by home hobbyists --

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Marquette-Redi-Fast-Battery-Charger-/270812977104?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0db617d0

It's seems in reasonable shape, and could be a candidate for a good restoration if someone was interested

Offline jchast

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2012, 02:29:30 PM »
Hello everyone. My name is Jason.  I have a vintage Marquette Ready Fast 6v/12v charger that is identical to the one the OP restored.  It was my dads. I was going to get rid of it, as I don't use it, nor do I know how to restore it.  Is it worth anything?  I'd rather see someone buy it than to throw it to the curb for scrap. It worked last time I used it. But that was about 3 years ago. Attached are some pictures.  Thanks for any info you can provide!

-Jason

Offline goodfellow

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2012, 07:01:37 PM »
Welcome Jason --

Why get rid of it? If it's still working just clean it up a bit; a little sandpaper and spray paint here and there and you have a great machine that most folks would envy. Modern chargers have nothing on these old "battleships". They were meant to last, and with a little effort on your part, this charger can be a great conversation piece in any garage.

If your bent on selling it, then just clean it up with some soap and water, and hit the heavy stains with Simple Green. You could get up to $100 for it if the right person comes along.

Offline jchast

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2012, 07:34:45 PM »
Hey! Thanks for the welcome!  For the heck of it, I plugged the charger in and tested it on a marine battery. The ammeter dosent seem to be functioning... unless it's a bad battery perhaps?  I do get a readin on my new charger that I have....

I wouldn't have a clue how to fix it... any ideas?

Offline goodfellow

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2012, 11:08:24 AM »
Chances are that the only problem you have are some bad wires. I know mine did. If you're handy with a continuity tester or an Ohm-meter then you can chase those problems down pretty quick. The biggest issue I had with mine was rodent damage on the wires, and corrosion of terminals.

Offline jchast

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2012, 10:17:43 PM »
I took the cover off... holy crap I don't know what any of that stuff in there is...... is there a place to get a schematic that would outline the guts of this thing for me?  I'm a tinkerer, but not a professional by any means....

Offline goodfellow

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2012, 11:29:15 PM »
Sorry -- no schematics are available for machines that are this old. Marquette isn't in business anymore, and those machines went off the market in the late 60's --early 70's.

Offline jchast

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2012, 09:21:26 PM »
I figured it didn't hurt to ask!  lol

I'll put it on craigslist... if noone bites, then its a curb side attaction..... thanks all for your help!

Offline NGK

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2013, 06:28:32 PM »
I would like to know were are going the wire of the litle green light on your markette charger and if you can post some picture of it.
because I have a marquette charger but my green light is not hook to any wire.

Offline NGK

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2013, 06:32:18 PM »
the model of my marquette charger is 322NS