Go Bottom
  • Hello Guest

Author Topic: Refurbishing a Marquette Redi-Fast Battery Charger --- Finished!  (Read 11309 times)

March 13, 2010, 08:40:27 PM

goodfellow

Decided to give the old Marquette a look today. I'm constantly amazed at the simplicity of the design and quality of the components that went into these old machines. There is no comparison with today's machines!! Modern technology may be able to provide more functions at a lower cost, BUT just looking at these 50 year old components says a lot about how American manufacturers felt about lasting quality. These thing were expensive, so they built them to last!! -- Amazing ---

It's a bit beat up, but very salvageable!!

Look at that massive transformer!!!!!

Hooked it up to a battery and it started chargin'

Time to strip this charger and take inventory!

Cables and silicon rectifiers are MASSIVE -- this is truely "old school"

Working slowly form the top, I strip the components with the wiring harness attached -- makes it easier to clean and inventory the parts

The fan motor was the first item to get removed, cleaned, and lubed.

The oil hole was filled with some 30W non detergent and the motor spun like new. The motor and fan were cleaned and are ready to be reinstalled.

The transformer was next -- This thing is heavy.

Some new wires will be required -- there is rodent damage, but that's not a "show stopper"

Everything is removed from the carriage --

The carriage is cleaned, sanded and prepped for paint

Cables and clamps will get cleaned and refitted with new connectors. the wheels will get media blasted and painted gold.

First task is to strip the ammeter and clean/paint the rusted housing -- Before and After

The bezel plates were trashed and corroded. They're aluminum, so they are pitted and oxidized. The plates came out OK with a good dose of lacquer thinner --
They cleaned up well enough to make the project respectable again.

Last thing for today -- the carriage was prepped and received it's first two coats of paint. That will get sanded with 220 grit tomorrow and one more coat of paint will be layed on wet.

That's it for today -- time for an adult beverage  :Peace:

Good night guys!!

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 08:27:49 AM by goodfellow »
March 13, 2010, 10:02:34 PM
Reply #1

rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
Tool do job=Good tool

A 'Veteran'is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made
payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and
including his life.'
March 14, 2010, 06:39:22 PM
Reply #2

goodfellow

OK, let's finish this thing up!! I'm sick of looking at it!!  :lollol:-- Not really, but I did bust hump to get it done today. It was a challenge since it's damp and rainy outside; which makes paint almost impossible to cure -- but I managed.

First thing today was the front cover. After sanding I masked the decals off with tape and proceeded to cut the lettering and outlines with a razor blade

I then turned it over and shot the red basecoat. I also shot he final red coat on the carriage (after it was sanded with 220 grit)

While I was in a masking mood, I decided to sand and mask the control cover -- the masking was for the instruction decal on the inside

This is the gold color I finally settled on -- not perfect, but when it dries it's pretty darn close

The front cover "red" basecoat had dried enough by now so I shot the the gold half-tone on the front -- looks really good, this paint covers and dries fast.

While all the paint was drying, I switched back to reassembly -- I cleaned the switches and wires with WD-40 and replaced two wires that had been chewed on by some critter.

I put down clean towels and started to get all the guts back in the carriage

Good pics and some simple schematics and notes help make this job go quite quicky

Cords and cables were cleaned with my "patented" lacquer thinner wipe down, and then cleaned again with WD-40. This makes them shine like new!!
The clamps were also given a good wire wheel treatment and the look like new. Tough stuff these old clamps.

The bezel and switches were reinstalled in reverse order of removal (I write down the sequence of removal on a note pad)

The 110v electrical connection for the fan and the accessories were made next

The charging cables were reconnected to the rectifiers in proper order -- and the charger was pretty much done with the electrical hookups

Next came the wheels. I found that a quick way to paint wheels is to cover them entirely with packaging tape (it's easier to trim and cut with a razor) and then just cut out the center hub for spraying.
This sure beats trying to mask the rim first. It only takes 2 minutes to mask a wheel this way.

Pretty much done -- except for the handle; which was shot in gold as well

OK!! Here's the finished product!!!

BEFORE!!!

AFTER!!!

Believe me guys -- this will be no "shop queen" -- it'll get used "like I stole it". So take a good look. In three months it'll be somewhat scratched up and quite dirty like most of my tools   :lollol:

I'm beat -- these two day resto marathons are gettin' a little tiring :toothy9:  Time for an adult beverage!  :party:

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 08:32:38 AM by goodfellow »
March 14, 2010, 07:21:43 PM
Reply #3

rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
Very nice work there. I would never have the patience to restore them like that.
Tool do job=Good tool

including his life.'
October 11, 2010, 08:57:21 AM
Reply #4

James19511ww

Does any one have a wiring diagram on a Marquett Charger model# 322Ns?
October 11, 2010, 09:04:59 AM
Reply #5

goodfellow

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that model. What's wrong with it?
October 17, 2010, 07:11:41 AM
Reply #6

1977Impala

• World Famous
"Ten six niner! Ten six niner!, We've got whores in the city, we
need back up now!
December 04, 2010, 06:07:55 PM
Reply #7

B

looks great
i would feel uncomfortable using it in such pristine condition
December 05, 2010, 01:34:29 AM
Reply #8

Aunt Phil

Did you load test the charger before you tore into it?

I've come across a few chargers that the transformer was not delivering sufficient voltage after many years of hard charging.  The guys in the lifttruck shops tell me it is a common situation.  I listened to an EE explain how it is a function of magnetic saturation of the core over time, and after an hour of his droning decided it is just easier to load test and decide to scrap of rebuild.

Fortunately the ones that come up short are still fine for electro-cleaning and rust removal.
© Aunt Phil 2011
February 17, 2011, 02:50:34 PM
Reply #9

freewheelin

beautiful job ! I have a model 32-106 that's almost identical. I am also going to restore it. I am looking for an amp gauge. also the fan quit working. any idea of how to check it ? I don't know what volt it is. I'm very challenged when it comes to battery chargers.
February 18, 2011, 10:51:01 AM
Reply #10

sodbuster

Can you tell me about how old this charger is?
February 18, 2011, 02:03:27 PM
Reply #11

goodfellow

Can you tell me about how old this charger is?

That model is most lilely early to mid 1960's -- but I'm not 100% certain since not a lot of information exists on these units.

beautiful job ! I have a model 32-106 that's almost identical. I am also going to restore it. I am looking for an amp gauge. also the fan quit working. any idea of how to check it ? I don't know what volt it is. I'm very challenged when it comes to battery chargers.

The fan is energized by the unit's on/off switch and draws standard 110v current. Just unhook it and run a temporary power cord to it. I use an old PC power cord and cut the end off. I soldered on some insulated alligator clips the hot, neutral and ground leads so that I can energize and test my 110v components (careful though, you don't want to touch those leads when you plug into an outlet -- even though they are insulated, you can still shock yourself).
March 03, 2011, 06:25:34 PM
Reply #12

ariesraven

Hi there. I realize that this a few months old but if you are still looking for the wiring diagram.....I just finished rebuilding my BC 322N Redi Fast charger and could draw one for you.
March 04, 2011, 12:41:54 AM
Reply #13

rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
If you could draw one and post it would be appreciated. Any reference materials like that are like food to a person in need of them.
Tool do job=Good tool

including his life.'
August 26, 2011, 07:14:21 PM
Reply #14

Scrapper Greg

Goodfellow, thanks for posting this. your pics have helped me a lot. I got a 321s model a while back and am now getting around to looking at it. someone took out the silicon diodes and the piece that they were attached to out before I got hold of it. Does your diodes have any info on them? Thanks in advance for any info!!! :thankyou:

April 18, 2014, 12:24:03 PM Top
Layout Options | Color: