Author Topic: New B&D Valve Refacer and B&D Air Powered Valve Seat Grinder!!  (Read 6227 times)

Offline goodfellow

I love my wife!!! When my wife saw me bookmark this valve refacer on Craigslist, she told me she'd buy it for me as my birthday present. She's definitely a keeper.

I drove down to see the guy in southern Virginia, and to my GREAT surprise -- THIS THING IS BRAND NEW!!!! The guy's grandfather passed away a few months back and it was supposed to go into his small engine repair shop. Poor guy never got to use it. It was uncrated and set in a corner of his garage.

It hadn't touched a valve -- ever!! Also included was a B&D air powered valve seat grinder, a complete set of stones and guides (some still in their OEM packaging), a B&D grinding stone truing jig, a set of valve guide reamers, a few valve spirng removal tools, a set of carbide valve seat cutters, lapping compound, seat micrometer, and a full set of valve guide brushes.

Man am I glad I made that 130 mile trip!!!! I've always wanted one of these machines and now have a pretty good machine shop setup.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 07:52:12 PM by goodfellow »

Tools and Garages

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
Re: New B&D Valve Refacer and B&DAir Powered Valve Seat Grinder!!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 06:31:20 PM »
You are the luckiest puppie I have ever seen.
Tool do job=Good tool

A 'Veteran'is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made
payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and
including his life.'

Offline goodfellow

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 07:37:42 PM »
As I said over on GH Rusty. I have never hit on a "big score" like so many of the other guys seem to do on a regular basis. OldCarGuy, Wrenchr, Buck, and a few others have a knack for hitting on sweet machinery deals. I don't have that knack -- but this time I got LUCKY!!!!

Maybe I should go play the lottery today :lollol:

Ever use one of these machines Rusty?

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 08:08:54 PM »
Never had the privilege the only placed I worked that had one. We had an old guy who was a magician with it.  None of us untutored peons were allowed to touch it.
Tool do job=Good tool

A 'Veteran'is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made
payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and
including his life.'

Offline goodfellow

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 08:19:07 PM »
These things were quite common up until the 1980's when hardened seats and valves became the norn -- no more grinding!! I used one as an apprentice (under the watchful eye of an experienced automotive machinist) and finally was able to work it myself. That was almost 40 years ago -- so, I'll have to re-learn a lot.

For rebuilding vintage engines, these machines are a great help. Plus this machine is much more sophisticated than the old Van Dorn that I was trained to use -- It'll be fun to learn something new!!