Poll

With the off shoring of tools and the treatment of American employees. Who to buy from.

Wright
23 (18.3%)
Stanley
3 (2.4%)
Mac
2 (1.6%)
Craftsman
14 (11.1%)
KD
1 (0.8%)
Matco
4 (3.2%)
Cornwell
7 (5.6%)
Snap-on
14 (11.1%)
Armstrong
8 (6.3%)
Williams
9 (7.1%)
Proto
9 (7.1%)
Allen
1 (0.8%)
Gearwrench
9 (7.1%)
Hazet
1 (0.8%)
Other describe in comment.
6 (4.8%)
SK
15 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Brands to buy.  (Read 13348 times)

Offline cms

Re: Brands to buy.
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2010, 09:03:40 PM »
I bought the SK angle wrench set about a year ago and they are marked U.S.A.  I also ordered some impact sockets off their web site in december  all were stamped U.S.A. and I received them within ten days of ordering. So I will still vote for SK and Wright.

Tools and Garages

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2010, 09:03:40 PM »

Offline The Rusty Gear

• Casting is Fun!
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2010, 11:09:54 AM »
And now for a Canadian Perspective (So Canadian Craftsman is "NO" out of the gate!)

Wright - Can't be beat for value and quality - And now they have two warehouses in Canada!
Proto - Available in most industrial supply stores here, great stuff.
And Other - GRAY Tools! Made in Canada!  :canadaflag:

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2010, 11:13:34 AM »
All three of the brands you list are nice.

I have a few Gray wrenches I've used for years with great effect.
Tool do job=Good tool

A 'Veteran'is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made
payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and
including his life.'

Offline Merkava_4

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2010, 05:29:28 AM »
My four choices were Cornwell, Snap-on, Williams, and Proto.

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2010, 01:21:52 AM »
I'm sitting here laughing.  It's probably a function of being around a long time and having a decent memory.

I remember well one distributor back in the 60s SK exclusively since they opened the doors having to bring in lower cost wrenches and tools to retain volume and keep from pissing customers off cause SK cost went through the roof.  They brought in Bonney.  Odd thing happened when the SK rep came in a couple months later, he made a call and that distributor was eligible for all kinds of rebates and coupons they could issue to good customers.  SK sales continued to drop off in that house.

In the 80s another distributor decided to invest a boatload of cash and take on the Proto line.  Their salesmen pounded the routes carrying Proto, and prices were reasonable, for a while.  They sold a couple trailer loads of Proto, and were a valued house according to the plaques on the wall.  Then Proto decided to screw the goose laying golden eggs, prices went up and tools that the distributor had replaced under warranty didn't meet Proto's standards for warranty replacement to the distributor.  A few months later that house sold off all their Proto product and went back to their core business.  No more tools, too many problems and crap return on invested money.

I think I may have warrantied up to a dozen tools in my life, generally they can't be found after breaking and getting thrown, or they get stolen before they break.  I still have and use the Wright 1/2" socket set I bought in 1963, in a tin box with a plastic hunk of crap interior.  I bought it from an industrial distributor for about 22 1963 dollars, probably over $100- in 2010 dollars, and to my surprise the rubber handle on the ratchet is still good, rotated 90ø on the handle but still in place and still functional. 

I also have the 19?? 3/8 set of ratchet and a handfull of sockets on a shoelace Herb gave me when I left.  They still work too.  One of the sockets did split after only 50 years of service, but I figured it had a right to because I was overpulling on it.

I've broken a lot of tools over they years, some of them damn expensive.  Generally my experience has been smaller manufacturers bust ass to make it right, warranty or not, while large manufacturers don't give a damn.  Evidently the big guys operate on the ITW 80/20 concept.

I don't much like the pricing of truck dealers tools.  I've seen too many of those bastards lined up at the counter at the distributor playing on taking advantage of their customer long before they carried phones and showed up when called.  I've also known a few personally, and have a pretty good handle on how that business functions.

US made really doesn't mean much any more, the government standard for that label is low, and I doubt if anyone is chrome plating in this country any more thanks to EPA.  Union "workers" have screwed themselves.  What we are seeing today in a broad spectrum of manufacturing in the US is near a repeat of the US auto manufacturing business screwing itself in the 60s.  Set the beer down and realize the rest of the world is catching up.  Your US tax dollar has been going off shore to help them build capability since 1980 that I know of.  I've ridden in a Hyundai made in Alabama, and it's a damn good car. far better than many US labels I see.  I know people who only drove GM for 40+ years who now drive Hyundais because they will be damned if they drop a bucket of money into a GM worker's pocket or a retiree from GM either. 
© Aunt Phil 2011

Offline goodfellow

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2010, 09:14:10 AM »
+1 Aunt Phil  :clapbouncie:

Like you I have been around for while and have seen the decline of the tool business first hand. Back in the early 70's my shop was serviced by the best truck vendor I have ever seen. He sold MAC and was absolutley fair, consistent and customer oriented. He even warrantied our Vulcan, SK and Craftsman tools - can you imagine a modern vendor doing that. Needless to say we were a MAC shop.

Over the years, the truck model has been corrupted by globalization, corporate mergers, and ever tighter profit margins. This has forced truck vendors and supply houses to cut corners to a point where customer service is relegated mainly to "lip service"; nothing more.

In my opinion, the best tool value in the US is still the Craftsman brand. The hard line tools are still mainly US sourced, and the warranty is vastly superior to that available from a tool truck or industrial supplier. When adjusted for inflation, US made Craftsman tools are cheaper now than at anytime in history.

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2010, 11:55:33 AM »
GF just for the hell of it, I plugged $17 1963 into the Inflation Calculator and it came up around $115- in 2009 money.

You can definitely get more bang for the buck today in tools than you could in the 60s.

It also brings to mind that the GOVERNMENT makes the profit on inflation, so the government ain't going to stop inflation regardless what the scumbags running for office claim.  Fortunately, Rusty's strictly enforced policy of staying on topic mandates I stay between the lines here.
Were it not for that policy I'd mention the standard garden tractor battery price in Walfart rose 3 bucks from 1 October to 28 November when the rack was restocked.  Thew value of the dollar is dropping rapidly thanks to the Halfrican residing on Pennsylvania Ave, and the spending habits of the stupid American.

Lately I've taken to laughing at people complaining about work being offshored and undocumented workers on US soil.  The average person is too damn dumb to understand what is happening, and too stupid to be enlightened.  Pissed off may well be the zenith of their understanding ability.  Now all I need do is figure out how to get my free cellphone with 250 minutes a month of air time, and figure out where the government distributes the free cheese.  That's some damn good cheddar that's been stored in limestone caves a number of years, and it can often be bought for 10 bucks a block from the welfare people leaving the distribution center.
© Aunt Phil 2011

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2010, 12:55:23 PM »
yummy chedder! I haven't seen any of that for years. I think they sold it off with the other surplus storage items a while back. Our strategic grain reserves are piff poor too.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 02:52:31 PM by rusty »
Tool do job=Good tool

including his life.'

Offline strik9

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2010, 02:48:22 PM »
I like Danaher products (stanley, gearwrench, etc )  when the buyer demands a high grade product and sells it at a fair price.
  When a buyer like sears demands a very low price and the accepts whatever crap they get, that creates a problem for me.  I own a few craftsman things.   But to go as far as I have to just to get to sears does  not justify the trip for the crapshoot that may follow.  If I need it absolutely right now, AZ is just around the corner to get mid to low grade shtuff at.

COO  is less important to me than quality.  Give me quality or I'll make my own if I can.  If I can't  make it I'll buy a decent  one no matter who made it.

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2010, 03:00:47 PM »
Rusty's strictly enforced policy of staying on topic mandates I stay between the lines here.

OK on this the most off topic spinning board on the net this comment is made?

Tool do job=Good tool

including his life.'

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2010, 01:37:07 AM »
Rusty's strictly enforced policy of staying on topic mandates I stay between the lines here.

OK on this the most off topic spinning board on the net this comment is made?

DAMN RIGHT!  I was checking to see if you were paying attention and checking on your reading comprehension.  They say the first thing to go on an old hippie is attention to detail.  Now that we've established you are on the ball I'll resort to higher levels of testing.

BTW, this may not be the most off topic spinning board on the net.  I think that designation may shift around by the hour.
© Aunt Phil 2011

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2010, 01:52:10 AM »
True on the shifting.

There's not many threads on here that haven't went off topic.
Tool do job=Good tool

including his life.'

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2010, 01:08:28 PM »
True on the shifting.

There's not many threads on here that haven't went off topic.

Maybe you should appoint a Special Moderator/Crossing Guard in charge of topic containment so the board can attract stupid inside the box thinkers and make them feel comfortable.  That seems to be a trend of late.  Perhaps the NEA has fully succeeded in its mission.
© Aunt Phil 2011

Offline fflintstone

• Tool slut
  • Former master curmudgeon
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2011, 02:34:46 PM »
IMO craftsman still maintains the value standard in their core tools, sockets, raised panel wrenches and screwdrivers are still made here. CM screwdrivers are as cheap as $2 each if you buy the huge set. That is almost HF prices. Compare it to snap on at an average of $20 per screwdriver! They (snap on) are better screwdrivers but not 10 times better.

shtf
THE KING OF PARSIMONY WHEN BUYING TOOLS

foxtrot union charlie king oscar bravo alpha mike alpha.

World class master Mechanician

Offline B

« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2011, 06:01:58 PM »
I have to look at tools a bit differently than others I need super high quality and strength for work.

my brands/ recommendations for tuff use ( IE no weekend seldom use)

SO combo wrenches, sockets, extensions, socket hex drives

Garland Manufacturing mallets

PB Swiss 1/4 bits, screw drivers, hex wrenches and hex drive sockets

Whia electronic screw drivers they are cheap and super quality as soon as wear appears I retire them as I have to use them on alloy/ high polish screws on very expensive equipment

Wera screwdrivers  awesome

Felo screw drivers and pliers  awesome pliers are less cumbersome then the competitor below

Kipinx  cutters ( dikes, lineman, cable cutters,bolt)

Felco cable cutters

Kanon torque wrenches they are industrial quality meant for daily repetitive use and are good for 100% full scale at a divination of 3% most TQ wrenches can not even come close to the same quality at 2-3 time the price

SK ratchets, sockets, extensions, pliers ( old stuff)

Cresent adj wrenches

Proto  wrenches, adj wrenches,  sockets, extensions ( US made)

Kline screw drivers , pliers, bags

Lista tool box

Kennedy tool box

German brands virtually any of them will give you a hard working tool

I tend now to favor more European or top shelf Japanese tools now over a lot of  US labels now since most have cut quality, gone overseas or are just outrageously over priced with zero performance for the requested money