Poll

With the off shoring of tools and the treatment of American employees. Who to buy from.

Wright
23 (18.3%)
Stanley
3 (2.4%)
Mac
2 (1.6%)
Craftsman
14 (11.1%)
KD
1 (0.8%)
Matco
4 (3.2%)
Cornwell
7 (5.6%)
Snap-on
14 (11.1%)
Armstrong
8 (6.3%)
Williams
9 (7.1%)
Proto
9 (7.1%)
Allen
1 (0.8%)
Gearwrench
9 (7.1%)
Hazet
1 (0.8%)
Other describe in comment.
6 (4.8%)
SK
15 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Brands to buy.  (Read 12894 times)

Offline Fins/413

• A Tool whore
  • The man with the 57 models
Re: Brands to buy.
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 05:34:20 PM »
The new tools I've purchased recently were Wright, SO, Armstrong, Proto and William. I'd didn't vote for Proto but only didn't as I ran out of votes. Glad to see Wright in the lead.
Eric Corse
Wake Forest, NC
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 Ford Econoline

Tools and Garages

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 05:34:20 PM »

Offline sk farmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 06:12:08 PM »
you won't get any argument on me that there are many things they should be doing differant with regards to returns, dealers and the strike. i think most people forget that their main lines are us made, while specialty wrenches and specialty pliers are imported from asia. most screwdrivers come from europe while some scewdrivers and pry bars are us made. that may change in the future but for now more of their stuff is us made than some of the truck brands imop. i would not count them out completely yet. what type of wrench had no  coo? i would bet money it was a ratcheting wrench in wich you would be hardpressed to find any of them with coo other than a very few wich are us made.
you can put candles on a cowpie, but that won't make it a birthday cake.

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
Tool do job=Good tool

A 'Veteran'is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made
payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and
including his life.'

Offline TR

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 10:01:41 PM »
Well...I chose Wright,because not only do I sell them,I also like the way they do business.  :cat:

To be fair to the other tool companies,Wright doesn't have a lot of specialty pliers,auto type tools.etc.That helps keep the core tool lines they make and sell to stay USA made.

I sell some Armstrong,GW and others because Wright doesn't always have all the tools a customer wants.I'm with Will also.....be honest about the COO.

Offline sk farmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 11:09:05 PM »
that is odd on the raised panels. every one i have ever seen says usa on the opposite side as the wrench you have posted. i checked all of mine and they all have it. the angle wrenchs i have only seen a time or two and can't say one way or another. my angle wrenches are mac. they say usa on them.

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 12:00:34 AM »
I'd always seen the SK hard line marked, then these came in.  About half of the shipment they had were unmarked for COO.

It kind of messed with our heads. Since then warranty issues and inability to get tools have caused this store to quit carrying SK. Last time I talked to him he still had a few thousand dollars worth of warranty exchange on back order.
Tool do job=Good tool

including his life.'

Offline J.A.F.E.

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 12:56:07 AM »
I'm just guessing here but I think you will see less and less COO markings in general. Partly because it conditions us not to look so when companies move production around it's not as obvious and partly because it's cheaper as they won't have to change the dies and stamps to account for the changes as they make the production dance.

I like SO but I call BS on their claim it's better for international markets where anti US sentiments could hurt sales. If they feel that way F'em and let them buy tools elsewhere. France has their own tools anyway. And I would imagine most countries have some COO marking requirements anyway.
If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking.

General George S. Patton

J.A.F.E. needs Par-X tools sell them to him.

General George S. Patton

Offline Stuey

• ToolGuyd
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 11:15:57 AM »
I think that of the choices, I'd go with Wright, Williams, Craftsman, and possibly European brands that have not abandoned their workforce.

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 12:32:33 PM »
While I like Williams tools. The fact that they are a division of Snap-on counts against them. Also they are very bad about unmarked COO on their tools since the purchase.
Tool do job=Good tool

including his life.'

Offline sk farmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2010, 02:00:11 PM »
i don't want an argument rusty, but i would love to see some pics. i just phoned sk with this question and the raised panel and angle wrenches are us made. the rep said all us made tools are marked as such. we discussed coo and she said that ratcheting wrenches are taiwan. screwdivers are usa, france and slovenia. some torque wrenches are from china. she is sending me a suggested retail price sheet with coo info on it. i can forward you a copy if you wish. we obviously did not cover every item. i just threw a handful of  random wrench numbers at her like the ones you mentioned.  it will be interesting to go down the list.

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2010, 02:51:19 PM »
I wish I could. But the store that had them lotted them off when he quit selling them.

If I run across any place around here still selling SK I'll check their stocks. This lot came in about the end of November.  We thought it might have been sabotage by some of the workers. He called SK about it and they gave him the same story. The district guy stopped by and saw them. He had no explanation either.

Our question was how did they get through QC with out markings?
Tool do job=Good tool

including his life.'

Offline sk farmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2010, 03:46:51 PM »
how do we know that they were not part of the problem./ that strike got nasty as all strikes do. i do not know the whole story and i hate to say it but i do not care much for unions. i would not put it past the union workers. i think the most damage to sk has been done by the workers and union, not sk as a whole.

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2010, 04:43:25 PM »
I have no problem blaming most of America's current industrial problems on Unions and Lawyers.

That is what we were thinking about the sets. The on going labor problems were allowing bad items to come through.

While I hope SK can get it's act together. As long as the channel and manufacturing as as unsteady as they currently are. I can not recommend them.

Currently I believe that their tools have to be taken on a tool by tool basis.

This is a shame since I own many SK tools and have always considered them to be a fine tool.
Tool do job=Good tool

including his life.'

Offline sk farmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2010, 06:32:38 PM »
i don't have any issue with your thoughts, i just was curiois on that coo bit.  i received that list this afternoon. i can send it to you if you wish.

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2010, 07:07:44 PM »
If you would I would appreciate it.

I think a lot of SK's current problems are workforce related. First there was the strike in Ohio that had messed up quality items appearing in the channel. Then after this strike other items show up. Plus the continuing difficulties in even getting the tools.

I do wish they would get things together.
Tool do job=Good tool

including his life.'