AuthorTopic: Removing the Windshield on an E-Type!  (Read 35 times)

Offline goodfellow

• View Profile
Removing the Windshield on an E-Type!
« on: January 13, 2010, 03:37:40 PM »
Ever seen a grown man cry? I have; like a baby! After spending three hours trying to get an E-Type windshield out of his car, he used a metal scewdriver to pry on one corner of the glass and it just "popped" loudly with a big spider crack on the right side -- instant trash!!  It wasn't the high cost of a replacement that caused the tears, but rather a realization that after all that work and preparation, he had failed miserably.

That "grown man" was me,    :frustrated:  --- when I removed my first E-Type windshield on my own car in 1977 -- 

Well, 33 years later, and a few E-Type windshield under my belt, I wasn't about to get all "sobby" again.  :lol2:

Here's how to remove an E-Type windshield. First off, no metal gets to touch the glass; except for very thin razor blades.
These are the tools needed for the project. Thin trim tools, a LOT of razor blades, and a can of WD-40

The first thing to do is to blow off and clean the windshield -- especially at the rubber moulding edges, so that sand and grit don't work against the cutting action of the razor blades. Then a razor blade is run under the moulding -- not a lot of pressure, it's simply done to lift the edge from the glass.

Also, to take the strain off the corners of the glass, each corner of the molding is cut perpendicular in three places so that the rubber moulding will separate and ease up on the pressure in order to get some trim tools under those tight corner radii.

Once the edges are cut and lifted, then WD-40 is applied to soak underneath the freshly lifted edge. At this point, a thin narrow trim tool is run under the moulding to lift it away form the glass (no force, just steady pressure). If the tool gets stuck, I use more WD-40.

With that done, I now have enough clearance to insert a wide trim tool. The tool is used as a backstop for the razor blade. Why? because even a sharp razor blade can cause the glass to break under certain conditions. Not fun!!!

Using the wide tool and a razor blade, I'm removing the upper layer of the old moulding (all the way around) while the previous corner notches will allow this tool to easily move around the tight corner sections. The point is to minimize any metal to glass contact --

If done right, the top moulding should come off in long steady strips -

The reason for removing the top strip is to relieve the pressure on the center "clamping strip". This center strip is actually a separate piece that is fit when the glass is installed. It's there to prevent the moulding from shrinking and separating from the glass.

With the top moulding removed with a razor blade, the clamping strip can be easily removed simply by pulling gently (if it's stuck, I use WD-40 and a plastic tool to loosen it)

Here is the "clamping strip" --

Now comes the hard part -- cutting the bottom of the moulding to reveal the edges of the glass.

Again, I used the wide trim tool and the razor blade. However, the moulding is very thick at that outer edge so once the entire circumference is done, I use a "new" blade to cut the rest of the moulding -- notice in the second pic below that the blade is almost parallel to the glass and that the tip of the blade is protruding into the windhield glass channel. That's a good cut!!

Once that lower part of the moulding is removed, the windshield is essentially free. Now, just for good measure, I gently run a new razor blade around the entire exposed windshield seam and cut straight through to the interior of the car (while trying not to touch the windshield too much in the process). I then used the palm of my hand to gently push the one side of the windshield loose.

In my case, it worked on the first try -- the windshield broke loose with gentle pressure.

Here's what's left of the moulding --

....and with the moulding removed --

Total time --  about two hours; I'm gettin' better  :Danceparty:  Time for an adult beverage!!  :beerdrnk:

« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 03:39:55 PM by goodfellow »

Offline TRTOOL

• View Profile
Re: Removing the Windshield on an E-Type!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 03:41:16 PM »
GF.......metal+glass= BREAK!!!!!!!!!!

Man,sorry to hear that.......big bummer! :frustrated:

Offline Fins/413

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 04:04:08 PM »
Your winshield frame looks good from what I can see.
Eric Corse
Wake Forest, NC
1959 Chrysler New Yorker

Offline goodfellow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 04:56:17 PM »
GF.......metal+glass= BREAK!!!!!!!!!!

Man,sorry to hear that.......big bummer! :frustrated:

It was a "learning experience" -- and those windshields were relatively easy to get in those days.

Your winshield frame looks good from what I can see.

The frame is in excellent shape Fins -- the only real problem is the rockers, floor pans, and the trunk. New metal will be required --

Offline TRTOOL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 04:59:27 PM »
 GF.....where's the piano wire at? :lol3:

Offline Fins/413

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 05:57:22 PM »
Ray the body is steel isn't it? I know some of the older Jags had Aluminum bodies.
Eric Corse
Wake Forest, NC
1959 Chrysler New Yorker

Offline goodfellow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 06:50:19 PM »
GF.....where's the piano wire at? :lol3:

hihihi -- good one!

Ray the body is steel isn't it? I know some of the older Jags had Aluminum bodies.

That's all Coventry steel on that E-Type Fins -- it rotted even before it left the showroom  :omg:

Offline TRTOOL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 08:51:08 PM »

That's all Coventry steel on that E-Type Fins -- it rotted even before it left the showroom  :omg:

GF....that's the best Brit car joke of the night but I don't think Sir Lyons would be laughing...
 :lol3:

Online rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 10:41:42 PM »
I thought the Coventry steel rotted as it was assembled?
Tool do job=Good tool

Psalm 109:8