Author Topic: Let's fabricate a LH E-Type rocker stiffener and closing panel -- FINISHED!  (Read 1359 times)

Offline goodfellow

This is the problem -- the stiffener is attached to the outer rocker closing panel. This thing sits right in front of the battery and pretty much waste away. The battery tray is attached to the blind captured nuts that are attached to this stiffener panel.

Here is where these pieces come from. The green circles show both the RH and LH stiffeners and closing panels still attached to the rockers.

Here is the left stiffener and closing panel cut from the body and what's left of the rocker panel spot drilled and removed.

This is what's left and what will need to be fabricated. First a cardboard template of the stiffener with the bends marked.

I actually bend the cardboard to make sure that I understand the sequence of bends so that I get the most bends on the metal brake. This is important because just making random bends will make them quickly interfere with each other on a standard brake. Mark the template with step 1, step 2, etc -- to get maximum bending options.

Transferred to 20 gauge CRS, and compared to the original

Now to add appropriate holes for the captured nuts and to make the nut cages --

Done -- the nut cages will get welded tomorrow.

Now to make the template for the closing panel

Finished the cardboard template and will make this panel out of 18 gauge sheet tomorrow.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 02:17:19 PM by goodfellow »

Tools and Garages

Offline Fins/413

• A Tool whore
  • The man with the 57 models
Re: Let's fabricate a LH E-Type rocker stiffener and closing panel --
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 10:43:35 AM »
You are kicking butt and taking names.
Eric Corse
Wake Forest, NC
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 Ford Econoline

Offline goodfellow

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 11:17:49 AM »
Thanks Fins!! I had to keep up with your stellar van progress --

Just trying to get most of the fab work and welding done before the spring. There are a lot more panels to make.

Offline goodfellow

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 02:16:57 PM »
So here are the finished pieces -- took last evening and part of this morning to finish them, but because they the front closing panel is made from 18ga steel, this entire assembly is much stronger better than the 20 ga OEM panels.

One more side to go, but that'll have to wait until this weekend --

Onward!!

Offline goodfellow

Here are the finished panels, AND I also received the LH and RH rockers (outer sills). They were too cheap not to buy from the vendor.

Here are the LH panels mocked up on the LH rocker --- a perfect fit! I have some more floor welding to do, but after that, the rockers are going back on the car. That will be a major milestone in this build.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 03:10:25 PM by goodfellow »