Author Topic: welding a custom frame..  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Dustin19

welding a custom frame..
« on: October 11, 2011, 01:31:42 AM »
Pics tommorow

funny story ill post first. 

i noticed  that while welding the holder was getting abnormally hot. i mean like not being able to hold it hot. about 5 minutes later the  cable fell out of the end of  holder..  shtf  i turned welder off cut a 2inch piece of wire stripped it then realized i couldnt  get the holder apart to  attach it..  heres where keeping odds and ends comes in handy i dug thru my toolbox and found a  stick holder i got in a box of junk at a auction a couple years ago. pulled the sleeve off  got  a allex  out unscrewed it and   hooked up the connection and tightened everything was rocking and rolling in 5minutes... if i hadnt kept that  "junk holder"  i would have been stuck in the middle of  welding a plate till tommorow.

im in the process of making a cradle  for when i split a tractor this winter. its made out of square tubing  and scrap steel.. for a lifting mechanism im using screw jacks like they put on the bottom of  scalfolding when its on uneven ground.  i have about  3days total into the design before i even broke out the welder.

it involves 1 piece of  2in square tubing aboud 4 feet long and a small piece  of the next size up which i believe is 2 1/4 thats 6in long. a plate was then welded to the 4ft piece at one end.  after that i welded a high quality steel caster to the plate  did the same with the 6in piece.. turned it oover and welded plate on each end  again then i welded a circcular metal plate on each plate after that i welded a piece of steel tubing on the circular plate that were placed directly in the center of the plates they were welded to... i still have to one or 2 more things then ill be done.

all welding was done with a lincoln 220  tombstone stick welder. helmet was a autodarking tsc special long sleeved shirt and barehands

Tools and Garages

welding a custom frame..
« on: October 11, 2011, 01:31:42 AM »

Offline goodfellow

Re: welding a custom frame..
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 06:42:25 AM »
Yup, a bad connection will make things heat up pretty fast. Although I have a lot of welding equipment, I love working with my first machine; the tombstone!!! It never fails to get the job done.

Sounds like a good project --

Offline Dustin19

Re: welding a custom frame..
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 08:45:01 PM »
Yup, a bad connection will make things heat up pretty fast. Although I have a lot of welding equipment, I love working with my first machine; the tombstone!!! It never fails to get the job done.

Sounds like a good project --

the tombstones might not be the expensive machine but as you say they get  the job done.. here are the pics.