Author Topic: Trailer for a diesel welder  (Read 6767 times)

Offline Aunt Phil

Re: Trailer for a diesel welder
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2010, 12:39:36 PM »
Congratulations, now that you have it painted you have reached the point in welding trailer construction called Ya know what we shoulda put on there.

I always liked roll bars on machine trailers, you can mount and hang a lot on roll bars, from ladder racks to floodlights and of course flag sockets.  A running welder has a magnetic attraction for stupid steering wheel holders to not see it and run into it.  Even strobe lights can't protect a welding machine from forklift operators.

I like your reinforced deck corners.  Somebody recognized the corner of any trailer will get backed into any available nonmoving object.  Generally I like to put a skid from the corner of a trailer to the outer corner of the fender.  Skids save a lot of repairs to fenders since steeringwheel holders seem unable to pull trailers around stationary objects without the corner making contact.

You also need to put tank holders on there, propane, acetylene and oxygen and might as well put a spare on in case you ever want to carry argon as well. 

I've also come to the position it's a good idea to have some vertical and horizontal sockets on the corners as well so you can slip post mounted tools like vises and benders into and out of place.  Once you get to installing them throw a few extras on so you can jack the machine up and take the weight off the tires when it sits for a while. 

Given your location I don't suppose you need to consider snow, so a roof and sides probably won't be necessary.

Hey, paint grinds and burns off pretty easy, and you can always brush more on.
© Aunt Phil 2011

Tools and Garages

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2010, 12:39:36 PM »

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2010, 07:32:54 PM »
Some good ideas there AP. Most of that stuff is on my list of needed items for a work vehicle.
Tool do job=Good tool

A 'Veteran'is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made
payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and
including his life.'

Offline strik9

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2010, 07:43:24 PM »
We are going to have to beef up the springs to put much more on this one.  He is going to have a custom tarp made to cover only the machine and leave the trailer open.  We can move it on the road covered in the rains to try to avoid those wonderful 80 volts at 200 amp reminders that welding and water don't mix.

I would like to see this trailer remain uncluttered and clean.  I think the boss is on the same page too.

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2010, 09:03:40 PM »
I'll admit my work trucks were totally cluttered with stuff. I hated 40 mile trips to get a tool or piece of equipment.
Tool do job=Good tool

including his life.'

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2010, 11:07:55 PM »
Rather than beefing springs up, I suggest you look into airbags.

Firestone and a few others make a nice 5" diameter bag you can buy a pair of for under $100 and set them between the X and the frame with 3 bolts.  Believe me, bags beat hell out of springs, especially on something ov variable weight that will be going both on and off road.

As to a clean looking machine, that's real nice if it never leaves the yard, or if the repo man is looking for the machine.  Other than those 2 conditions, a machine should carry minimally 4 fire extinguishers, 2 being water cans, and at least 2 vises, one pipe and the other a 4" minimum standard vise.  A chainvise is damn handy for irregular objects too.  The one Buzzardbreath has been working on for 2 years now will carry his Bobcat, has a pair of toolboxes former electrical cabinets that are the deck frame, at least 6 electrical outlets wired to a plug so they can be powered either off the machine or from shorepower, and a 12 volt lighting system using LED heads that will light up inside the trailer box and the toolboxes.  He's presently debating lights under the deck so you can walk around the machine in the dark without tripping.  Under the deck is another storage locker between the framerails for additional cable and bars. 

The front of the box carrys a gas drive air compressor and a 3500 watt generator which didn't have anyplace else to live and will power up the trailer so the welder doesn't have to run when it isn't necessary.  There's also an electric winch to pull the Bobcat on and off, and there will be a removable crane on the back corner because old men don't lift.  When it is parked the trailer sits on steel legs so the tires don't develope flatspots.  The roof unit lifts on and off and the trailer tilts hydraulicly both to make loading and unloading the machine easy, and so the trailer can be more useful and serve additional purposes when the machine is removed.  It also carrys propane bottles for the infrared heater to keep the dumb weldor happy and a heating torch, and the normal O/A torch & bottles.

© Aunt Phil 2011

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2010, 12:12:42 PM »
Definite yes on the under deck lighting! I've almost killed myself trying to walk around trailers after dark.

Cranes because old men are too smart to lift!
Tool do job=Good tool

including his life.'

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2010, 03:19:34 PM »
Truth is everybody here is in favor of the underdeck lighting concept, and with the LED units it becomes very possible and energy cheap.

We are however NOT admitting that because nobody has any damn idea how to make a 120 volt human detector [floodlight controll] function on 12 volts DC so the system operates from the on board battery the trailer has.  I know where there is a pile of those floodlight things that have been torn apart to see if they would work on 12 volts DC though.   Once that little problem is solved I know of a few trucks and trailers that will be set up with the system.  Meanwhile a number of residences & shops are being set up with LED emergency lighting systems.

We also found a LED unit for backup lights (19 leds) that only costs 4 bucks, so a good number of those will probably be going into toys as well.  One of the best parts of being retarded or is that retired is there is now time to play with some of the projects that were long shelved for want of time to make them happen.  It's also damn nice to look at the outdoor thermometer and say the hell with it, got indoor projects to play with.  Shoot, I've got a box of paper I sketched ideas out on and saved for this day.
© Aunt Phil 2011