Author Topic: Mastercool Hose Crimping set-up --  (Read 639 times)

Offline goodfellow

Mastercool Hose Crimping set-up --
« on: January 15, 2016, 02:08:31 PM »
I need to make custom AC hoses for my Jag. The aftermarket doesn't have much in terms of offerings, and what is available is ridiculously expensive and not of good quality. Given my limited choices, I decided to make my own AC hoses. I will cut free and reuse the original fittings from the old hose sets and purchase new brass hose ferrules. The bulk of the work will be done with this manual Mastercool AC hose crimping set.

I used some of my Christmas gift cards (Thanks family!!) from Sears to purchase this set through the Sears website for $165 delivered. I wasn't expecting much, but was quite surprised by the quality and heft of this tool. It comes with four dies sets to crimp the most common AC hose diameter ferrules, and from the documentation I gather that I will have all the necessary dies to make all my own AC hoses for this E-Type.

I can get bulk AC hose and crimping ferrules quite inexpensively from my local NAPA, and the cost per hose will be less than $40 each compared to $130-230 per hose that the aftermarket retailers demand.

Problem is that I've never made any hose before -- so this may be a classic "Learning Experience" for me.

Tools and Garages

Mastercool Hose Crimping set-up --
« on: January 15, 2016, 02:08:31 PM »

Offline fflintstone

• Tool slut
  • Former master curmudgeon
Re: Mastercool Hose Crimping set-up --
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 10:35:49 AM »
will that just do AC hoses, or will it do PS and other hoses as well?

I would give yourself more credit, you (like me) are smarter than the average bear and I am sure your first attempt will turn out great.

I have heard good things about the tools coming out for DIY people to make hoses, flare fittings and such. although I never had a problem doing flares the old fashioned way.

I myself am going to have to invest in a manifold set and a vacuum pump...   
THE KING OF PARSIMONY WHEN BUYING TOOLS

foxtrot union charlie king oscar bravo alpha mike alpha.

World class master Mechanician

Offline goodfellow

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 12:20:35 PM »
will that just do AC hoses, or will it do PS and other hoses as well?

I would give yourself more credit, you (like me) are smarter than the average bear and I am sure your first attempt will turn out great.

I have heard good things about the tools coming out for DIY people to make hoses, flare fittings and such. although I never had a problem doing flares the old fashioned way.

I myself am going to have to invest in a manifold set and a vacuum pump...   

It will do PS hoses as well -- in fact you can make many more sized hoses with add-on dies from Mastercool.

Offline goodfellow

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 05:32:11 PM »
Before I get any further with this AC system, I had to make sure that the OEM hose fittings could be successfully extracted from the old ferrules and hoses. The hoses are pretty crusty and the fittings are rusty inside, but if I can remove them from the hoses, a good soaking in rust remover will clean them up quickly

First I used a small thin cutting wheel to slit the OEM ferrules on opposite sides. Then used a small chisel to separate the ferrule casing from the hose -- this was pretty tight and gummy. Once the ferrule sides were split and separated, the hose barb could be loosened with little effort.

The barbs, ferrules and hose ID were measured with a dial caliper and it turns out that the ferrule is a #8 size, the old hose has a 3/8"ID, and the Mastercool set has an appropriate #8 die.

The other fitting was removed in a similar manner -- success! I can now order some bulk AC hose and ferrules to make up a fresh set of custom AC hoses.

Onward --
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 10:42:23 PM by goodfellow »

Offline fflintstone

• Tool slut
  • Former master curmudgeon
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 09:15:31 PM »
looks good!
 :usflag:
THE KING OF PARSIMONY WHEN BUYING TOOLS

foxtrot union charlie king oscar bravo alpha mike alpha.

World class master Mechanician

Offline AaronTycle

• Expert advisor
Mastercool Hose Crimping set up
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 12:10:52 PM »
Youve hit the jackpot, a set as complete as that are as rare as rocky horse droppings, the one we had was 6or 12 volt cant quite remember, well done.
Bob.
I was advised metatrader expert advisor for reliable trading