Author Topic: well that wouldnt have been good  (Read 3660 times)

Offline Dustin19

well that wouldnt have been good
« on: January 05, 2012, 07:18:59 AM »
last night went to the shop to replace a light and alternator on the main 7130 they use for the mixer. when i pulled in there was a truck at the end of the drive jacked up with the back tire removed.   10 minutes after i pulled and got in the shop another truck pulled in a couple guys  came into the shop with a tire that was completelly flat. they went over to the aircompresor to try to inflate it... bead was broke so air was just coming out of the sides. i grab a ratcheting strap and  ask if they want help  they do so i wrap  the ratcheting scrap  around the tire and tell them to  apply the air while i tighten the scrap and to keep their fingers away from the rim...   it takes off  and starts popping when the  bead seats notice one of the guys fingers is about a 1/2inch away  from the rim and bead and end up slapping his hand away right before   that corner pops and seats...

i swear im gonna have to write up a book  with drawings to put on the pegboard for minor repair such as this i expect they would have been there all night if i hadnt been there to  help or gotten hurt..

Tools and Garages

well that wouldnt have been good
« on: January 05, 2012, 07:18:59 AM »

Offline goodfellow

Re: well that wouldnt have been good
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 07:24:39 AM »
That guy is lucky he didn't loose a finger. Just be glad they didn't work on a split rim.

Offline Dustin19

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 08:40:38 AM »
 i think if it would have been a split rim id be leaving the area very quickly if im not around i can claim i had no clue what was going on  :lol:

i would have felt terribal if they guys finger had got pinched let alone losing it...

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 10:07:50 AM »
The blood squirting every where is not a pretty site.
Tool do job=Good tool

A 'Veteran'is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made
payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and
including his life.'

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 07:53:58 PM »
Split rim's get the chain's out. Them are just BAAAD
America won't survive with open borders.

Offline 1977Impala

• World Famous
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 08:56:23 PM »
Some folks just have to learn the hard way.
"Ten six niner! Ten six niner!, We've got whores in the city, we
need back up now!

Offline Busted_Knuckles

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 03:05:17 PM »
I had a well drilled about a week ago, and the guy who was running the rig, owned the rig, he was proud to show all 10 of his digits ! I was not aware of this, but I guess its a big deal to run a drill rig and still have all your fingers, especially if you have been doing it for decades. That whole setup looks like a OSHA nightmare. Thing even had a hydraulically actuated 36" pipe wrench ! Big old ram attached to a pipe wrench, looked like a nightmare to work on, it was a Shram Roto drill. Had a big ole Detroit 2 stroke on the back to run the hydraulic pumps, and the air compressor. Thing had a turbo, on top of the supercharger. The radiator was 8' wide and about 5' tall.

Im talking about the engine that runs the drill, not the truck itself, that was a little ole 3208. I heard that thing coming down the road, no mistaking it for anything else.

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 04:53:32 PM »
WOW e has to be good. They usually loose  a few learning not to grab a hold of stuff.
Tool do job=Good tool

including his life.'

Offline Thefalconman

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 12:12:17 AM »
I have inflated hundreds of split rims  All were inside a heavy safety cage at the time....

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 06:59:55 AM »
That is the only way to inflate those death traps.
Tool do job=Good tool

including his life.'

Offline Busted_Knuckles

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 10:52:20 AM »
I have inflated hundreds of split rims  All were inside a heavy safety cage at the time....

Back in the 80s (I was in high school), I worked in a General Tire Shop. The rafters over the truck tire service bay, they where all split up and you could see where the split rings, left half circle rings in the rafters from guys not using the cage. I never saw it first hand while I was there, but it had happened !

I also pulled a super stupid move, I bought 8 new Michelins, for an 88 C30 High Cube cutaway DRW, that I used for going to the track (race car tow rig). I had my own rim clamp and balancer. So Im fighting this damn tire, I just can not get mounted. Must have taken a half hour to fight it on the rim. They where XPS Ribs, which are 16s, but all steel construction, basically a baby copy of a real truck tire.

So I get it mounted, Im filling it up with air, and the damn thing explodes in my face.

Upon further inspection, I realize the truck has 16.5" rims on it, not 16". What an 88 C30 was doing with 16.5s, I have no idea. The truck was only a couple years old, and they appeared, by the paint and condition to be new with the truck, or at least they looked like they belonged to the truck, there where no obvious signs that they where "swapped" from an older truck, but must have been. That was an expensive lesson, and Im glad the first one blew, before I went to blowing up 5 more !