Author Topic: '67 E-Type FHC - Flooded Brake Booster  (Read 117 times)

Offline TWC

'67 E-Type FHC - Flooded Brake Booster
« on: March 27, 2018, 07:07:38 PM »
 :noobie:  New member here ["TWC"]; I have a '67 E-Type that's been in the family since new, been working on it since I was 13 [you can do the math :0002-1239:.  I lost all pedal on the brakes not long after I rebuilt them [brass sleeved, new innards, etc.].  Drove it a bit around South Carolina, towed it up to WI where it sat in storage all winter.  Started up fine, brakes were good for several months, then then both brake fluid reservoirs emptied - but know fluid on the floor [big mystery].  The only place the fluid could go that I could think of was in the booster or vacuum tank.  I removed and dismantled the booster and found it full of brake fluid on both sides of the diaphragm.  My question is:  If just the slave cylinder on the front of the booster is leaking back into the booster, how did the fluid get on the back side of the diaphragm?  Is the slave the only issue here, or are the master and air valve also at fault and need to be rebuilt?  - TWC

Tools and Garages

« on: March 27, 2018, 07:07:38 PM »

Online goodfellow

Re: '67 E-Type FHC - Flooded Brake Booster
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 08:40:12 PM »
I can't help you with the cause without actually looking at the booster and diaphragm, but they are notoriously hard to rebuild. I rebuilt mine, but am prepared to get a new one should the rebuild not hold. Most likely you have a problem with the air valve as well.

If all else fails get a complete new master and booster for $385 -- probably worth it in the long run. The diaphragm is usually very expensive by itself.

http://www.welshent.com/product_info.php?sku=SERVOMCK&name=Brake_Master_Cylinder_and_Brake_Servo_E-Type&cPath=231_241_242

Good luck!

Offline TWC

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 06:36:18 PM »
Thanks for your quick response, Goodfellow!  I'm heading down to the shop this evening.  My plan tonight is to disassemble the slave cylinder; I'll get some pictures to post.  I have purchased a new diaphragm for the booster and rebuild kits for the slave and master, even though they were sleeved and rebuilt about a year ago.  BTW the inside of the rear [bulkhead side] of the booster housing had the very same "waterline" that yours - or someone who posted on this subject - had.  The booster obviously had held a large amount of water or brake fluid for a long time!  Further BTW, my long-term plan is to rebuild the master cylinder, air valve, check the vacuum tank, etc. and refill the system with DOT 5 Silicone.  I used DOT silicon fluid about 20 years ago in the jag with great success - stopped leaks, didn't absorb water - great stuff! - Best, Blackjag