Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Tool Crib / Re: Would you buy a bonus pack of 10MM sockets?
« Last post by rusty on May 25, 2018, 04:31:33 PM »
I still have a socket rail of nothing but 10mms
Tool Crib / Re: Would you buy a bonus pack of 10MM sockets?
« Last post by berserkerindustries on May 24, 2018, 08:43:41 PM »
You can get a bulk pack on Amazon. Also Autozone offers a 10mm kit that has a BUNCH of different styles of 10mm sockets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Daily drivers and babies / GM 3.6L VVT PCV restriction fix -
« Last post by goodfellow on May 16, 2018, 03:48:02 PM »
This "traction control" problem is mostly due to oil vapors gunking up the throttle body. The vapors accumulate in an oil trap in the intake tube and that was VERY dirty with oil; more-so than usual.

The problem obviously lies with the PCV system -- specifically the PCV valve gets clogged; which in turn increases crankcase pressures, and forces more oil vapors into the intake trap.

The solution is to replace the PCV valve (a $18 part at NAPA), or mod the current valve to be less restrictive and cure the problem once and for all. I chose to do the latter.

The PCV valve is located on top of the RR cylinder bank (the one closest to the firewall) -- right behind the throttle body. In fact once you disconnect the intake tube for cleaning, you can see the PCV valve close to the firewall. It has a hose attached that connects it to the top of the left cylinder bank. The hose connection to the left cylinder bank is difficult, so I only  disconnected the PCV connection which has a simple push-in disconnect.

To get it out I used a body clip tool to catch the valve under the lip and lever it up and out

The valve has two breather holes on the bottom end and one of the two holes was clogged with carbon -- hence my oil vapor problem.

shining a light underneath it shows the restriction -- one hole is closed and the other one is partially open

The fix is to drill all the holes out with a 3/32" drill bit -- and then clean it out with lots of carb cleaner solvent.

Shining a light under the valve shows that this fix makes the passages much less restrictive -- and is considered a permanent fix.

Everything cleaned up and res-installed and this fix will go a long way to keep the oil out of the throttle body and prevent the dreaded traction control stall and power drop problem.



I decided to update the look of my 18 year old "NEW" truck i bought some new custom rims and 2 new tires. since the truck only has 50K on it and i only put 1-2K per year on it, tires dry rot before I wear them out. since I plan on using it to camp and dirt bike this summer I want it safe.
I have discovered that I really am getting too old to change tires on a manual tire changer.

When I actually get done I will post pics.
General Discussion / Re: New Theme
« Last post by fflintstone on May 15, 2018, 08:15:14 AM »
I really don't like doing anything on phones, but i have only had a cell phone since black Friday.  it looks OK on a computer, I really do not have a preference.
General Discussion / Re: New Theme
« Last post by rusty on May 10, 2018, 03:49:40 PM »
You'll really like it if you try it on your phone.
General Discussion / Re: New Theme
« Last post by goodfellow on May 10, 2018, 03:40:58 PM »
I like it as well -- much more inviting and easy on the eyes. Good job Rusty!!
Restorations / Re: Starting the final assembly on the E-Type - updated 3-18
« Last post by goodfellow on May 10, 2018, 03:40:09 PM »
Been a bit late on this, but as usual at this time of year I had a lot of spring cleaning and house/yard maintenance to do before getting back on the Jag. The most frustrating aspect of last few weeks was the damn center heatshield. It's thicker and more bulky that the original because unlike the OEM shield which used asbestos sheathing, the new insulating material is a pressed composite fiber. Whereas the original are riveted in place, riveting this one wasn't going to work. I tried, but after a few attempts I decided that since this heatshield usually takes a beating and deteriorates after a few years, it's best to make it removable.

To that end I decided on a permanent solution and sent away for a quality rivet nut installer set and used 1/4"-20 threaded inserts to attach the shield with 7/16" NC stainless steel machine screws. It took some time to arrive, but the wait was worth it.

It's not factory Jaguar (and is frowned upon by resto purists), but I can now replace this shield very easily when it gets to looking like this -- no more rivets to deal with.

The tool was a breeze to use and the install went perfect.

Like I said, not factory, but this is never going to be a show car; just my weekend fun project.

The other problem was my own fault. Back when I sprayed the undercarriage with heavy duty bedliner, I forgot to cover the exhaust mount bracket studs with tape. I paid for that mistake this week. As a result, the studs are caked in very tough liner. I spent an entire morning just cleaning and thread chasing these studs so that I could install the new exhaust mounts.

I used stainless steel 5/16"-24 NF locknuts on these studs --

After a day and a half of fighting and fixing some of my self inflicted problems I can start the tedious exhaust mounting process. With AC hoses in the way, and two forward heatshields yet to be installed, I'm not holding my breath that this will be a cakewalk. But the mounts are in and I'm looking forward to some shiny polished stainless steel under this old E-Type.


General Discussion / Re: New Theme
« Last post by rusty on May 10, 2018, 02:19:50 PM »
I think I like this one better.
General Discussion / Re: New Theme
« Last post by rusty on May 10, 2018, 09:45:30 AM »
But it shows a lpt better on the phones.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10