Author Topic: Simple way to keep leaves and debris out of the garage --  (Read 718 times)

Offline goodfellow

Simple way to keep leaves and debris out of the garage --
« on: March 31, 2015, 04:12:47 PM »
Today I took some time to clean up the garage. It was the first time in many weeks that I was able to actually spend six hours standing in my own garage. Needless to say, the place was a mess. Leaves had blown in everywhere, and so I moved all the equipment to gain access with a broom and vacuum cleaner.

Since it was a warm sunny day, I kept the garage door open, but every time a gust of wind blew across the shop entrance, it created a low pressure zone inside the garage and debris from the outside was sucked back inside. I can't stand that annoyance so I decided that this year was enough of that nonsense and used a low level net barrier solution.

Years ago I bought these plastic mesh Gutter Guards from Harbor Freight. They were useless as gutter guards, hence they just sat on the "stupid purchases" shelf in the shed; until today!!

I recall that someone, somewhere on a garage forum had used lawn edge guards to form a barrier across their garage entrance to keep debris out. It was a bit rough and people kept tripping over it, but it did do a good job. I don't want to trip over mine, and considering that Mrs. GF still has some problems walking, I decided to stretch the Gutter Guard across the entrance of the garage.

It was stapled at both ends to the door flashing and was left high enough (about three inches) to catch most all but the smallest of debris. After six hours of work, only a small fraction of debris made it into my freshly cleaned garage. It's flexible enough to walk and drive over with the car and won't tear or crack like stiff lawn edging. It stays in place even with the garage door down.

It's not a perfect solution, some small debris did get through the mesh, but with this little net barrier in place I can work in the garage with the door open and not be bothered with all the large junk that blows in on  continual basis.

I'd like to hear what others have done to alleviate this annoying problem -- so please post up your solutions. I'm sure that I'm not the only one that considers this a huge annoyance.

Tools and Garages

Simple way to keep leaves and debris out of the garage --
« on: March 31, 2015, 04:12:47 PM »