Author Topic: JC Higgins for my niece  (Read 2140 times)

Offline m_fumich

JC Higgins for my niece
« on: April 01, 2013, 08:56:58 AM »
I don't get to hit yard sales, estate sales, or auctions since I'm only home 2 or 3 days a month. As a result, I've got to rely on eBay to find vintage bikes. I am in desperate need of a project and a good condition vintage bike is something I can handle financially and physically. Not having a garage or even a car port to work under, a project I can haul into the house is just the ticket.

I've been looking for a vintage bike for my wife. Something with a tank, light, and rear rack. My wife is short so I've got to get her a 24" and they're a bit harder to come by. For some reason, I've taken a fashion to the JC Higgins bikes over Schwinn. I recently found just the right bike in the San Francisco area. I found a similar one in the Baltimore area but it didn't have the rear rack. I lost the SF bike. I couldn't really go any higher than the starting bid. However, I was the only bidder on the Baltimore bike. Since I can get to that area easily, I asked Phil to pick it up for me. I'll grab it the next time I'm through Baltimore.

Since it's not exactly what I want for my wife, I'll restore this one for my niece. The target for completion is next June.

Here's the bike.

Tools and Garages

JC Higgins for my niece
« on: April 01, 2013, 08:56:58 AM »

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
  • Administrator
Re: JC Higgins for my niece
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 11:57:56 AM »
Nice bikes she should love it. What color are you going to go with?
Tool do job=Good tool

A 'Veteran'is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made
payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and
including his life.'

Offline goodfellow

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 12:31:57 PM »
Doesn't look all that bad as it is. Why restore it, just touch up and refurbish the painted and mechanical parts, and polish the chrome. Chances are it will be nicer than a complete restoration; they're only original once!!

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 06:38:15 PM »
Color? Original of course. It will be a RESTORATION.

Touch it up? That would bring a quick end to my project. The primary purposes is for me to have something to work on. Having a bike for my niece is secondary.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 06:44:25 PM »
It's gonna get the full "Goodfellow" treatment from hub to hub. He are a few more pics.

Offline fflintstone

• Tool slut
  • Former master curmudgeon
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 09:38:26 PM »
looks like a nice project.
THE KING OF PARSIMONY WHEN BUYING TOOLS

foxtrot union charlie king oscar bravo alpha mike alpha.

World class master Mechanician

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 09:12:50 PM »
It's gonna be a good rider but the tank is in too bad of shape inside to restore it. The rear fender has been trimmed and the rack is missing. Restoring it would cost way too much. I'm gonna clean it up, grease the bearings, and let the kids ride it. Then the first person that says "Is it for sale?" will be buying a nice rideable bike.

Offline goodfellow

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 11:34:57 AM »
Well, you wanted to tackle this project to learn a few things about restoration. Why not give it a shot -- you can do a lot with a wire brush, a grinder, and a few paint cans.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 04:07:34 AM »
I will definitely clean the bike up and make any necessary repairs to make it rideable. However, there will be no nonfunctional improvements.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2